09-16-2013 05:25 AM
I've upgraded a database from 7.5.2 to 8.0. The customer has extensively customized the application themselves. They're interested in the Webclient, and so I deployed the 8.0 webclient and all the hotfixes I had available. While both are functioning correctly, I have noticed that the XMLSchema gets corrupted everytime there's a database change.
When logging into the webclient an error comes up, and the stacktrace refers to the schema, this was the clue to the schema being corrupt. I noticed this first when I deployed the 8.0 webclient.
I deleted the xmlschema and rebuilt it using mailmerge.
After applying the hotfixes, the problem came back. So I went through the rebuild process again.
And then I created a new entity (and table) via Application Architect, and again the problem was back.
When I rebuild the schema, everything seems to function correctly. I'm not sure what is causing the schema to become corrupted each time. Any ideas of what I should be looking for to correct this?
09-26-2013 12:00 PM
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?, I am seeing a similar issue in v8 web.
I have rebuilt the XMLSchema via the web a number of times, it works ok for a period of time (web is not heavily utilised) then you go to login and the problem occurs again, the problem error appears to relate to the MY Notes group on the dashboard however that could just be because that is the first group it is trying to load.
If you managed to resolve this any info would be much appreciated.
09-27-2013 12:32 AM
09-27-2013 01:43 AM
Thanks for the update, I can confirm in our case no stock fields have been deleted, there have also not been and DB SChema changes.
In our case when the issue occurs it renders web inaccessible, this happened when I first ran a test upgrade and I could not acceess the system, I rebuilt the XMLSchema via the Lan but no joy, after raising this with support, I was advised the XMLSchema had to be rebuilt via the web as rebuilding via the Lan leaes the plugin in an unuseable state for web, which is worrying.
However once I had rebuilt via web all appeared to work fine, I have noticed once previously that the issues had occurred again and just rebuilt via the web, however last night it was reported again, although I don't know for sure when it stopped working again, we had not made any DB schema changes, however I did applay a LAN bundle (a couple of form changes) yesterday and wonder if this may be the cause, can't quite see how though.
Rebuilding the XMLSchema via web again has resolved it for now but I expect we will be seeing this again.
Thanks for your info.
09-27-2013 01:48 AM