Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

SQL CLR that uses the 32-bit SLXOLEDB provider on x64 SQL Server

Long story short:

We have a data warehouse that relies on a UDF in SQL Server to generate a new accountid.  This UDF uses a SQL CLR assembly that levereges the SLXOLEDB.1 provider.  This works fine on our current server, which is Win2003/SQL2005 32-bit.  

However, we are migrating to a new server with Win2008 and SQL2008 64-bit.  I am hitting a wall when I try to install the CLR on the new server. 

If I install the CLR on SQL Server, I get the following error when I try to execute the UDF:

Msg 6522, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "GetNextSLXID":
System.InvalidOperationException: The 'SLXOLEDB.1' provider is not registered on the local machine.
System.InvalidOperationException:
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbServicesWrapper.GetDataSource(OleDbConnectionString constr, DataSourceWrapper& datasrcWrapper)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
at GetNewID.NewID(String Environment, String TableName)

From what I gather, this is because 64-bit SQL server can't locate/use the 32-bit SLXOLEDB provider?

If I compile the assembly for the x86 platform rather than "Any CPU", then SQL refuses to run it because it can't run a 32-bit assembly.

Do I have any way to fix this?  Do I need to install the 32-bit version of SQL2008 instead?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: SQL CLR that uses the 32-bit SLXOLEDB provider on x64 SQL Server

Try compiling you app as x86.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Chris Grant
Plus Consulting
Employee

Since you cannot load the 32 bit SLXOLEDB.DLL in a 64 bit process, the only solution I can think of is to wrap the functionality you need in a 32 bit out of process COM server and call it from the UDF (assuming you can make COM calls).

The following old article talks about similar issues (unrelated to UDF): http://blog.mattmags.com/2007/06/30/accessing-32-bit-dlls-from-64-bit-code/.

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted

Thanks for all the tips.  Our business partner gave me a stored procedure that generates the IDs (similar to this -> http://customerfx.com/pages/crmdeveloper/2013/12/23/sql-stored-procedure-to-create-saleslogix-table-... and I updated our process to call the sproc instead of the UDF.  I almost went with the wrapper approach you suggested, but in the end, it was easier to update the re-write a few lines of code in the process to use the sproc.

I realize this was a hack, but we don't have any sync servers so I really don't care.  It was a simple solution to an ugly problem.

Employee

Ok, glad you find a simpler solution.

Thanks

Mike