Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Displaying embedded png files in the slx client

I am looking for a control which enables me to show png files stored inside the salesLogix database on screens inside the SalesLogix lan client. The existing image control deals with most image types but not png's and the field image displays correctly on crystal reports so the data is OK in the database

I have looked for other controls but either cannot get them to run or they give error messages, has anyone got a good activex control they can recommend?

Tim

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Displaying embedded png files in the slx client

Ues the browser control

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101
alt
".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

Thanks for the quick response, I must admit I had not considered the browser control although I'm assuming this can't get to the image field inside the database and it will need to be extracted to the local file system. Is there any sample code for doing this plus do you have any recommendation of where the file should be temporarily put considering different o/s have different user folder structure
Gold Super Contributor

No sample code.. it's just a simple display from a file in a browser.. but you will have to "code the control" so that on (AX)formChange you clear/load the browser (control).

Create a folder in the SalesLibrary to hold the files.. or you could put them in a blob.. and stream in/out (but that's a bit slow).. and more work.

We did this for a customer several years ago.. and it cost them a few $$$ ;-)

--
alt

Thanks I can succesfully extract the png files from the dataase to the local file system and then point a browser control at this file.

The problem I have is the browser cannot handle png files and I have tried on a couple of other machines with the same result. If I convert the image to a jpg for example it will display fine it just appears the browser cannot handle png files.

Any ideas?

Silver Super Contributor

Are you sure ? What does the browser do with this: http://www.empath-e.com/external/rusure.png It's the preferred format of all browsers (except highly complex images - which should be jpg).

Yes your png displays fine, so that must mean it is something about my png files

They are generated from an iphone signature capture

They display fine in google chrome and open in paint ok, do you want me to send you some samples of my png files?

Silver Super Contributor

Sure (says he worriedly !),

Thanks I have emailed you a couple of exmaples plus screenshots of what it looks like in both IE and chrome

Have fun

Gold Super Contributor

How are YOUR png files being generated?

Device, OS, etc...

Something certainly is very odd.

--
alt