Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Internet Explorer 9 Crashes SLX 7.5.2 when doing a Mail Merge

This morning we had a user whose mail merge functions caused a crash in SalesLogix (SalesLogix has stopped working...).  User had Windows 7 (64-bit), Outlook 2010 (32-bit), and SalesLogix 7.5.2.  He had recently updated his Internet Explorer to IE9. 

We verified this on other machines... with IE9 installed, Mail Merge caused SLX to crash.  With IE8 installed, Mail Merge worked just fine.

We did a System Restore to the point prior to IE9 being installed.  After the System Restore, IE8 was restored as the default browser and Mail Merge miraculously worked again.

I'm curious if this has been reported and/or fixed.  If not, you probably want to open up a fix request...

Silver Contributor

Re: Internet Explorer 9 Crashes SLX 7.5.2 when doing a Mail Merge

We're finding that both Firefox and Chrome browsers provide an increase in performance when using SLX Web.....

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Employee

You might check your security settings:

The following IE security settings apply to all versions of SalesLogix, for Desktop Integration (previously named Active Mail), beginning with SalesLogix 6.x:

1. Add the Sage SalesLogix Web Client site (SlxClient) to IE’s trusted sites.

2. IE ActiveX security options (in addition to defaults):
    a. Enable: “Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting.” This is required for calling the Excel, Word, and Outlook API.

b. Enable: “Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.” This is required for calling our ActiveX controls (sagegears.dll, SLXMMGUIW.dll, SLXMMEngineW.dll, SLXDocW.dll, SLXFaxW.dll, and SLXWinFaxW.dll).

3. If running under Vista/7/2008 protected mode must be turned OFF for trusted sites.

Thanks

Mike

Actually, I apologize for not being clear.  While I can understand how you would all think I was talking about the Web client, since I mentioned IE, we don't use the web client here.  The problem happens with the LAN client!!!

Employee

Ok, I'm guessing this was an e-mail mail merge? Can you try to change the e-mail format type to Plain Text? We use the Microsoft HTML Object Library to parse the HTML that is spit out by Microsoft Word for HTML e-mail mail merges; this library is installed by IE (e.g. C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.tlb).

Thanks

Mike

Sadly, that's not an option for us.  The email templates we send are often heavily embedded with graphics.

Here's the error that appears in the Windows Application Log, if it would be helpful...

Faulting application name: SalesLogix.exe, version: 7.5.2.2495, time stamp: 0x2a425e19

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7bafa

Exception code: 0x0eedfade

Fault offset: 0x0000b727

Faulting process id: 0x180

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0056c2769a22

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SalesLogix\SalesLogix.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 34cbdce4-6c4a-11e0-a978-000a9402aa7f

Employee

Ok, thank you. We're looking into this; I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks

Mike

Bronze Super Contributor

Is there a workaround (except uninstall IE9)?

IE9 is pushed out via Windows Update so the issue pops up everywhere.

---------------------------
Ambit AG, Switzerland
Employee

Besides uninstalling IE9, you can change to sending plain text e-mails.

Thanks

Mike

Bronze Super Contributor

Is there a Defect# so we can track it?

Thank you.

---------------------------
Ambit AG, Switzerland