Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Super Contributor

Web Look up by First Name

Am I missing something?  can we not look up by first name in the web?

Jim Ward
President
978-356-2654x201
508-641-6854 cell
Employee

Re: Web Look up by First Name

[ Edited ]

You can yes.

If you check out the Web Help File against the look-ups it provides a little more info about this.  For example, you can only search on columns that are contained in the Group you are performing the look-up against.

So if I wanted to look-up by first name against the All Contacts group I could do a search where NAME contains john.  However this would return all Contacts with both a lastname and firstname containing john.  Note that the All Contacts group uses the Namelf field which is a calculated field.

Also you could:

Edit the All Contacts group and add the Contact.Firstname field, then go to Options - Group and ensure that for the Contact entity All Contacts is selected as the Default Group Layout (the Default Group Layout must contain any field you want to use in a lookup)  and resave. 

Then I can go back to All Contacts and do a look-up on Firstname starting with J and I will get the correct results.

Again, the Web Help file is good at explaining how all this works.

Silver Contributor

Re: Web Look up by First Name

OK got all of that......has anyone wprked out a 'Name' lookup for the Contact Lookup......where SLX tries to parse out first last suffix, etc. for the Name?

And yes, any  USER who uses the Name field for a lookup is expecting it to be a Name: 'James Smith' or 'James' or 'Smith'.....

like how Google or any other Web Search would work.....

It should be listed as Last Name, if that's in fact what it only does.....OOTB

RJ Samp