Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Nickel Super Contributor

"Send SLX" & Custom Function Using SLX and Google Hosted Mail

Here is a situation I have that I would like anyone to provide me with insight on:

My company is on v7.5.1 and I have been told that we are moving to a hosted mail solution by Google. As well, my IT department wants to punt Outlook and strictly use the web interface of Google Mail.  This kills my efforts administering SLX as now:

1. I need to figure out how I can get the same type of functionality as "Send SLX" in Google Mail (good luck right?)

2. I need to mimic functionality I have that in my custom quote screen that, when a button is pressed:

• a copy of the quote is generated into PDF format
  • a compose email window opens
  • the PDF copy of the quote is attached to the compose email window

User adoption is going to be key for a solution I need to come up with.  I have a good idea for item 1, but item 2 is where I am drawing a blank.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for either item.

Thanks

-Dennis

Employee

Re: "Send SLX" & Custom Function Using SLX and Google Hosted Mail

hello dennis

gmail now provides its api in .net, python and java  technologies. you could check it at code.google.com. 

hope it helps

regards

Nickel Super Contributor

My issue is more of the fact that SalesLogix does not like to handshake well with any other email platform than Outlook.  Is there any plan from Sage to integrate with multiple email platforms, especially if Sage wants to have a robust web platform that can complete with other CRMs.

Just a thought... 

Nickel Super Contributor

Well it turns out that the SalesLogix Mail Client does not allow for Google Mail to work with it as Google Apps requires that the mail client connect via POP/SMTP over SSL (secured ports 995 and 465 respectively).  There does not appear to be any way to enable encryption with the Saleslogix Mail Client (unless I've overlooked something).

Does anyone have any thoughts to this?  Sage employees? 

Employee

the SalesLogix Mail Client was primarily designed for the SalesLogix Sales Client (now called Network Client or some call it LAN Client) and was a piece of application designed way back during the days of SalesLogix 2000. There were no such mail apps that was working then on the ports you mention. The mail client since then has not been through any feature changes or improvements. Most of such expected integrations are really custom integrations and would require to access the respective mail systems through their respective API, one example is many customers want integration to thunderbird, so the way to do this would be to write thunderbird extensions.

Regards

Kannan

Highlighted

In theory how difficult would it be to write or find someone to write an extension for Google Apps / Gmail to accomplish this. My company is also looking for the same solution.

Best,
Justin

Hey Dennis, did you find a solution?
Nickel Super Contributor

I have not found a solution for this.  I have posed the question in Idealogix for a solution, and another user has also done the same thing.  I am guessing once there are enough of us pounding at Sage's door to do this they will finally comply.