Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Crystal Report prompts to type in User Name and Password Everytime

[ Edited ]

Hi all.

I have a button that when the end user clicks it opens a Crystal Report. The problem is that everytime you exit SalesLogix and log back in and click the button it asks you to type in the User Name and Password in a "Enter Values" parameter box for Crystal Reports XI.

Below is the buttons on click event that opens the crystal report:

Application.BasicFunctions.DoInvoke "CrystalReportPreview", "ACCOUNT:myReport"

Also, the report has a dynamic parameter. 

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance

SLX v7.2.1, Crystal Reports XI

Message Edited by SLX_User on 07-16-2009 04:07 PM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Crystal Report prompts to type in User Name and Password Everytime

Which username & password works?  Is it sysdba?

By guess is that this report is not set to access SalesLogix through the SLX OLEDB Providor.  If it is configured to access SQL though an ODBC MSSQL connection, it will work, but it will prompt for a username & password, which will be a SQL or Windows user with rights to SQL.   The report will work, but if you're using teams to restrict users' access to accounts owned by other teams, the report will display ALL records that meet the criteria set in the reports.

If that's what's going on here, locate a PDF that describes how to upgrade SalesLogix from version 5 or before to version 6.2 or later, and it will contain instructions for coverting Crystal Reports to the SLX OLEDB provider.  

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Any SalesLogix username and password.

When I created the Crystal Report I used the "SalesLogix OLE DB Provider" to connect to the SalesLogix tables. I read somewhere if you have dynamic parameters (and this report does have dynamic parameters) it will force you to sign in everytime, but I'm not sure if this is what is occuring in this situation.

Gold Super Contributor

Did you follow:

From the SalesLogix Upgrade documents:

A - Make sure you have Crystal XI R2 installed

Task 13 - On the Administrative Workstation (or the computer on which you create and customize reports), install Crystal Reports XI. This installation is available as an option on the Sage SalesLogix DVD browser.

Note Crystal Reports v9.0 is not supported.

Task 13 Details

When upgrading, you must uninstall Crystal Enterprise 8 before installing Crystal Reports XI.

B - Setting the SalesLogix OLEDB Connection - use a UDL file

To create a Data Link connection .UDL file

1 On the computer where you plan to convert reports, open Notepad (or some other plain text editor).

2 On the File menu, click Save As, and save the file to any location with the extension .udl. For example, Reports.udl.

3 Browse to and double-click the .udl file.

4 In the Data Link Properties dialog box, create a connection to your Sage SalesLogix database using the Sage SalesLogix OLE DB Provider.

If necessary, access the Online Help system for assistance.

C -  To convert a Crystal Report

1 In the v7.2/7.5 Architect > Manage > Reports.

2 Select the report you want to convert, and then click Launch Crystal Report System. When prompted to check out the report, click Yes.

3 On the Database menu, click Set Datasource Location.

The Set Datasource Location dialog box appears.

4 In the Replace with section of the Set Datasource Location dialog box, expand Create New Connection, and then double-click OLE DB (ADO).

The OLE DB (ADO) dialog box appears.

5 In the Provider list, select SalesLogix OLE DB Provider.

6 Select the Use Data Link File check box.

7 In the Microsoft Data Link File box, browse to and select the .UDL file you created in the previous section.

8 Click Next.

9 On the Connection Information screen, type your database Password, and then click Finish.

10 In the Set Datasource Location dialog box Current Data Source section, select your report database.

11 In the Replace with section, select your OLE DB Provider connection.

12 Click Update.

To verify the report converted properly, open the report in Crystal Reports Preview.

Note If you have any sub-reports within a report, ensure you update the sub-report sections.

13 After the conversion, ensure you release all reports to all users and sync all changes to Remote users and Offices.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks RJ.

I was forgetting to Click the Update button (step 12.) It stopped prompting me for a username and password on a couple workstations so I'm assuming that fixed it.

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Crystal Report prompts to type in User Name and Password Every time

Welcome!

I always pull this out of our KB when dealing w/CR.

We "re-implemented" The Procedures subsystem/Mainview as a searchable KB that was left out when Sage combined the Support and Sales Client into one (v7.0 - "Scorpion").  It's loaded w/tons of things like the CR info. Oh yes... works on remotes as well as the LAN (and Customer Portal).

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html