Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Windows Authentication Error

I am trying to enable Windows Authentication for SLX Web 7.5.3 and I am receiving the error below in the Event Logs.  I have validated the Kerberos ticket is being generated as well as the SPN the browser is sending.  All steps have been followed to configure Windows Authentication as per the Implementation Guide.  Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Web Server - Windows Server 2008 R2

ERROR Sage.Platform.Application.UI.Web.ApplicationPage - Unhandled exception.
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: AuthorizationToken
   at Sage.Platform.Application.Guard.ArgumentNotNull(Object argumentValue, String argumentName)
   at Sage.SalesLogix.SLXDataService.DecryptAuthToken(Object authToken)
   at Sage.SalesLogix.SLXDataService.GetConnectionString()
   at SlxClient.DefaultPage.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Windows Authentication Error

You've performed the web.config updates as described in the App Architect help file? Make sure your SLX site is in the trusted zone, and that IE security settings allow passing windows credentials. Make sure you have windows authentication enabled in IIS manager for the SLXClient website, and Kernel-Mode is turned off. You should not have anonymous access enabled for the site.  I'm not sure if the app pool should be set to "load user profile", you could try changing this value. The site should also be set to Application Pass-Through and not a specific user. You also need to assign windows authentication to ADMIN user as WebDLL domain user in the administrator. Make sure your SPN is right, it should be http/your.domain.com as well as http/machinename for the domain\webdll user (do setspn -l domain\webdll to check).

Andy Freeman
TrellisPoint, LLC
Highlighted

Can you elaborate on the web.config updates in Application Architect help?  I cannot find anything related to this in the help documentation.  I was using the Implementation guide when setting up Windows Authentication.  All other items mentioned have been confirmed.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

The steps for changing the web.config for Windows Authentication are in the admin help in SalesLogix versions 7.5.4 and above under the title of "Configuring Windows Authentication for Windows Server 2008"

-note - the modules section below is missing in the 7.5.4 version, but has been fixed for future versions, so make sure to use the following instructions.

• Enable Integrated Authentication for SData Portal Configuration
    1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    2. Select the SData virtual directory, and click Advanced Settings.
    3. In the Advanced Settings dialog box, click the Physical Path Credentials ellipsis button.
    4. In the Connect As dialog box, select Application user (pass-through authentication), and then click OK.
    5. Click OK to close the Advanced Settingsdialog box.
    6. Double-click Authentication and set the following:
      • Disable anonymous access.
      • Enable Windows Authentication.
      • Enable Basic Authentication.

By default, Sage SalesLogix uses Basic Authentication.

7. Right-click Windows Authentication, and then click Advanced Settings.
    8. In the Advanced Settings dialog box, verify that Enable Kernel-mode authenticationis not selected, and then click OK.
    9. Open the Web.config file under the SData folder.
    10. Modify the Web.config file with the following changes.

• Change the Authentication Mode from "Forms" to "Windows".
      • Comment out the "<forms loginUrl" line, if it exists.
      • Update the httpModules section by adding the bolded lines and removing or commenting out the lines with a line through them. Ensure all items in the httpModules section match.
        <httpModules>

<clear />

<add name="Session" type="System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule" />

<add name="WindowsAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsAuthenticationModule" />

<add name="AuthenticationModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebWindowsAuthenticationModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web" />

<add name="AuthenticationModule" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebBasicAuthenticationModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web" />

<add name="DynamicEntityModule" type="Sage.Platform.Orm.DynamicEntityHttpModule, Sage.Platform"/>

<add name="UrlAuthorization" type="System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule" />

<add name="SessionScopeModule" type="Sage.Platform.Framework.SessionScopeWebModule" />

<add name="UserLanguageModule" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.UserLanguageModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web" />

</httpModules>

• Update the Modules section by adding the bolded lines and removing or commenting out the lines with a line through them. Ensure all items in the httpModules section match.
        <Modules>

<add name="WindowsAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsAuthenticationModule" />

<add name="AuthenticationModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebWindowsAuthenticationModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web" />

<add name="AuthenticationModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.SLXWebBasicAuthenticationModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web" />

<add name="DynamicEntityHttpModule" type="Sage.Platform.Orm.DynamicEntityHttpModule, Sage.Platform"/>

<add name="SessionScopeModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Sage.Platform.Framework.SessionScopeWebModule, Sage.Platform" />

<add name="UserLanguageModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Sage.SalesLogix.Web.UserLanguageModule, Sage.SalesLogix.Web"/>

</Modules>

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Highlighted

You mentioned this is for 7.5.4 and above but I am running 7.5.3.  Are these steps still applicable to 7.5.3?

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Yes.
Highlighted
Employee

Windows only authentication (i.e. no mixed mode security) requires at least 7.5.3 HF 04 (for 7.5.3; I'm not sure which HF you need for 7.5.4).

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted

I am a bit confused.  So in order for Windows Authentication to work for v7.5.3 I have to install up to web hot fix 4 and perform these additional steps for the web.config?  I thought Windows Authentication would work out of the box for v7.5.3.

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

7.5.3 HF4 was the first update to support Windows Auth via the web. 7.5.4 has it "out of the box" but it still requires a web.config change and IIS configuration. Currently, there isn't a simple checkbox to enable windows authentication, although that would be nice. 

Andy Freeman
TrellisPoint, LLC