Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Web Service to create Leads

Hi Folks,

I was reading the documentation on creating web services put out in 2006 by Sage. My ultimate goal os to attempt Lead creation via HTTP POST. So I quickly threw together a web service that accepts login credentials and attempts to connect to SalesLogix. (Eventually of course the login will be automatic). It worked once but since then, I keep getting:  

Login Failed with error: Failed to connect to SLXServer. Check if server is running and is compatible with the current provider version. 0 SalesLogix OLE DB ProviderProvider=SLXOLEDB.1

I'm able to login via the client - so the server is running. And I connected once successfully so the provider shouldn't be a problem either. Is there a better way to connect?

The class declaration is:

Public
Class Service1 Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService

Private adoConnection As New ADODB.Connection

And then the method:

Public Function SLXLogin(ByVal SLXServerName As String, ByVal SLXConnectionAlias As String, ByVal UserName As String, ByVal Password As String)As String

Dim ConnectionStr As String 

adoConnection = New ADODB.Connection

ConnectionStr = "Provider=SLXOLEDB.1; Data Source=" & _

SLXConnectionAlias & ";User ID=" & UserName & ";" & _

"Password=" & Password & "; Extended Properties= " & _

"SLX SERVER=" & SLXServerName & _

";Address=localhost;TYPE=ODBC;PORT=1706;"

On Error GoTo ErrRoute

Call adoConnection.Open(ConnectionStr)

adoConnection.CursorLocation = ADODB.CursorLocationEnum.adUseClient

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Web Service to create Leads

Just another option for you, here is a sData example on how to create leads. Not sure if you want to look in this direction but I thought it could help.

http://sites.google.com/site/genesprojects/Home/saleslogix-example/web2lead-with-workflow

Sr. Sales Engineer
Gene Arnold

Hi Gene,

I've read a bit about sData and this seems really helpful. I'm going to play around w/it. The problem for us is that the data supplier will only support web service postings, so from our side the entity has to be facing outside Saleslogix.

Thanks a bunch for this.

Apparently this works:

ConnectionStr = "Provider=SLXOLEDB.1;Password=" & password & ";Persist Security Info=True;" & _

"User ID=" & UserName & ";Initial Catalog=" & SLXServerName & ";Data Source=USPHL0ASL1;" & _

"Extended Properties=PORT=1706;LOG=ON"

Looking through your code Gene, it seems you only need to add an entry to the LEAD table, but I thought you had to also make one in LEAD_ADDRESS.

Thanks

Gold Super Contributor

Correct - You need both.
--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html