Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Elite Contributor

SLX Web 7.5.1 - Admin based Query

Hi,

I am looking to do an ado.net query (OleDbCommand) as the Admin user in slx web.I know how to get the connection string using the IDataService but this query has to be run as ADMIN. Is there a way to achieve this in web?

Thanks

Henry

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: SLX Web 7.5.1 - Admin based Query

What kind of data are you looking for and how do you want to use it? Unless your tied to the ado.net method are you open to other ways of getting the data?

Sr. Sales Engineer
Gene Arnold
Copper Elite Contributor

I am trying to display data that the user does not have access to. I am open to any new ways to achieve this.

Thanks

~ Henry

Employee

are you looking to authenticate the admin user with the network credentials to check what information the admin user has access to?

Cheers

Kannan

Employee

the admin user is not a regular user and  does not have a security profile associated to it, so it has access to all data.
Bronze Super Contributor

So as I see it you only have 2 options here (and I'm not in love with either because of security reasons)

1. Use sData to grab the data you are looking for. This would require you to store the login name and password for the sData user some where on the IIS box (ouch)

2. Do a normal ado connection the the SLX database using the SLX provider which also would require you to store the username and password some where on the box (ouch yet again)

Bottom line you are going to have to store a username and password someplace that you don't want to for you to do what you want. As you already have realized the logged in user does not have access to the data you want and you need someone that does. I really can't see a better way? What data are you looking for? Maybe we can create a service that will just give you that limited amount of data some how? Just trying to reach for ideas here because I just don't like the ideas I have presented to you.

Anyone else have something to offer here?

Sr. Sales Engineer
Gene Arnold
Bronze Super Contributor

I think it is acceptable to store a connection string in a config file. This is standard ASP.net functionality.

That being said it would be good to discuss your actual requirements as there may be another way to solve it.
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM
Bronze Super Contributor

I would have to agree with tagersea. We could really use some more info on what you are trying to do here. I guess storing the connection string in the config is ok but I would not be surprised if some of the customers you work with shy away from this. Either way, without more info this is about all I can offer. Hope it was a little helpful Smiley Happy

Sr. Sales Engineer
Gene Arnold
Bronze Super Contributor

You can call me Timmus Smiley Happy
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM
Highlighted

Why does a user need to bypass security?  As others have said a little more information on the use case would be helpful in getting you in the right direction.

John Perona

Director, Infor CRM Development

Infor CRM

Infor CRM