Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Newbie to SalesLogix development - questions!

Hi All,

I'm completely new to SalesLogix.  I have development experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Salesforce, but Sage is all new.

My company has a fairly basic e-commerce website.  We would like to start synching customer data with SalesLogix.  

I see this as a simple, nightly sync that pulls all customers and updates their associated contacts in SalesLogix. 

I assume this will require creating an account/contact for each new customer.  Possibly creating an activity for orders. 

So, my questions are these:

1. Is there a non-programming approach this I should consider? Like a scheduled, bulk import from CSV?
  2. Can a new type of activity be created for orders? If not, is there somewhere natural for this data to live? (It would be nice for angents to quickly see a person's order history)
  3. What resources are available for the API? I found some old documentation linked to in the forums, but I'd prefer something richer with code samples to get started quickly.   Where should I be looking?
  4. Is .NET the primary interface?  Can applications be written to insert directly into the DB?

I thank you kindly for your insight in advance!  So far, my searches have turned up scant information.

Clif

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Newbie to SalesLogix development - questions!

[ Edited ]

Hi Clif, welcome to the community!

One non-programming way is to use TaskCentre to do it for you.

A programming way.. well there are several:

Via the SalesLogix OLEDB Provider using Recordsets using almost any language.. including VBScript

Via the SData interface (in C# or javascript)

It takes more than Account and contact to properly create records in SalesLogix.

A - to create an account you need:

Account

Address record for Account

AccountSummary Record for Account

B - to create a contact you need:

Appropriate Account (and associated records)

Contact record

Address record for contact

.. and it gets a bit deeper.. knowing what you need to put into some of the fields to create a proper set of records.

There are training classes available at www.SageU.com as well.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

Thanks for the response RJ.

I actually just realized I posted in the Web Discussions forum when I believe our install is all self-hosted (and I assume this is for a cloud type offering?)  So if  a mod needs to move it, that's fine.

Is there documentation about the API that I can go through? The OLDEB provider sounds promising, but I have no clue where to start.

Gold Super Contributor

You're welcome.

It really does not make a lot of  difference if you host yourself or it's a SalesLogix Cloud.  You have the same basic technical issues in either case.

Most of any "api" info you will run across is basically reference style and not really useful for someone who has no background in SalesLogix. Training is really a must.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

Well, that certainly wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but too often normal for software vendors this size. 

Thanks for the info.