02-12-2014 03:08 AM - edited 02-12-2014 03:09 AM
Did anyone get the mailmerge working on SLX 8.1.
When we click on mailmerge this happen:
Msgbox: The mail merge service could not be loaded. This error may occur if SalesLogix Desktop Integration is not installed
or is not properly installed.
Desktop Integration has been installed ...
Any ideas will be more than welcome...
02-12-2014 06:50 AM
A couple of questions.
1. What version of Office is installed and is this 32-bit or 64-bit?
2. What browser and version of browser are you using?
We only support mail merge with 32-bit version of office on IE (not Firefox or other browsers).
If you have 32-bit version of Office and are using IE, you may want to check the add-ons and make sure the Saleslogix add-ons are enabled.
02-12-2014 06:57 AM
Good point Alexander. The site does need to be added to trusted sites. Also, another setting may need to be set in IE if not already. It is under security for trusted sites: Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting.
02-12-2014 08:24 AM
Hi, thanks for the responses.
Webhost was installed, as well as Office 2010 32 bit.
It's on IE 11 where it doesn't work. We've tried it on IE10 and strange enough it's working on that machine.
The mail merge button is visible, but the window to select the template doesn't appear.
02-12-2014 08:43 AM
You might try registering all of the DLLs and OCX in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Saleslogix:
05-23-2014 12:34 PM
I've seen a problem with mail merges where "old" templates don't work. It was something to do with the placeholder syntax, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what the problem was. But, you can test if this is the case by creating a new, simple template to see if it works. If that works then you can rebuild the template from scratch... that was the solution we ended up going with.