Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Copy contact function vs. custom required fields

I have been implementing validation for required fields by attaching to the entity OnBeforeInsert and OnBeforeUpdate events.  In the validation code, I check the required fields and raise the Sage.Platform.Application.ValidateExecption if any issues are found.  This works well in general - when a required field is left blank, the insert/update is cancelled and a message box is shown to the user with the exception message.

The problem I am having is with the built-in move/copy contact function.  When copying a contact, the built in function does not copy custom contact fields (i.e. fields I have added to the Contact table & entity, one of which is a required field).  As a result of this, the copy function is always blocked by the validation exception.

I've tried adding logic to the post-execute step of the built-in MoveContact business rule to copy my required fields.  However, this comes too late - the contact OnInsert event is called before the MoveContact post-execute step runs, and the damage is done.  If I remove my validation, this works for getting my required field populated, but (of course) I'd like to leave my validation in place.

All suggestions are welcome (although I'm really hoping I don't have to change my general approach, and really really hoping I can stay with entity level validation and not have to start attaching validation logic to each UI form).

Thanks,
Ken