Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Silver Contributor

Best practise for web updates

Dear All,

As we are moveing forward to see sp2 for 7.5 released I would like to know, what you do to get your 7.5.1 updated as fast and clean as possible.

Here is what I do:

1. Restore 7.5.2 project backup

2. Apply bundle with customisations

Question:

When you apply your bundle and AA tells you that 0 items require user interference, are you then just hit Next, or are you doing a diffmerge?

I would think that for example the account detail screen might not have something new which you are loosing, when you stick to your custom one.

Thanks for letting me know!

Alexander

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Best practise for web updates

My approach is to do DiffMerge on anything that is different between the two projects.

My opinion is that some of the changes may very well be important and that I should not assume they are simply cosmetic.  I may have modified a QuickForm and certainly may have modified Form and Control event handlers.  Sage SLX may have made other modifications to QuickForm and event handlers in order to either add functionality or correct a defect - either way, I need to consider incorporating those changes into my customized version in order to have the new feature as well as correct a defect.

Note - same issue with all other work products - Entity Event Handlers, business rules, etc., etc.

I am experimenting with 3-way Merge tools (BeyondCompare v3.x,SourceGear DiffMerge) to see if I can come up with a workable approach to examining all three versions of a QuickForms, CodeSnippet, or other AA work product.  The concept with the 3-way merge is that I could examine say SLX v7.5.1 version, SLX v7.5.2 version, and my Custom version. This would allow me to understand specifically what Sage SLX has changed between versions and distinguish that from what I changed when I made my custom version. I am then in a better position to make a more informed decision about SLX v7.5.2 differences to incorporate into my Custom version.

I've not had much time to spend on this technique... And it looks like it might help to have a very wide monitor(s) Smiley Wink

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group