Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Address entity properties are empty?

[ Edited ]

I am trying to wire up an assembly to validate zip code syntax for Canadian addresses. 

I have started by overriding OnCreate, OnBeforeUpdate, and OnBeforeInsert. But it looks like OnCreate is being fired at strange times. 

In my case, if I pull up an Account, and attempt to edit an already existing Address, the event is fired and I get an Object Reference exception, and all the Address' properties are empty - even if I put my custom event code in PreExecute.

If I remove OnCreate, it saves, but it also doesn't fire OnBeforeUpdate and OnBeforeInsert; none of the code is executed in either event. 

I am following the steps outlined here: 

http://customerfx.com/pages/crmdeveloper/2010/05/18/using-an-external-assembly-for-entity-events-and...

Is there something I am missing? I suppose I can try on the same Account and Contact events but that means duplication of code when what I really want to do is check against the Address entity regardless of the object associated with it.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Address entity properties are empty?

Hopefully someone can provide some feedback. I've wired up these events to the Account and I can't get any of them to fire.
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Address entity properties are empty?

1. sounds like you're creating an Address entity in your external assembly, rather than getting a reference to it? Which is why all the fields are blank - it's just giving you the shell to fill.

2. the events should be on the address entity, not the account entity; only the address will fire the onBeforeInsert/onBeforeUpdate (the Account entity does not get updated, the Address has the AccountId in a M:1 relationship so the Account entity is unaware of the record change.)

Andy Freeman
TrellisPoint, LLC