Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Nickel Contributor

AA - Why are smartparts secured via roles and not secured actions?

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

This is a question I've long had, and can't seem to find an answer to it. In AA, almost every UI element that is to be secured, is configured via secured actions - menu items, buttons, navbar items, etc. That is a great feature, because once a secured action has been established to a given UI element, then from that point on, customers are free to administer roles as they see fit mixing and matching those secured actions to tailor the UI functionality to different classes of users.

The one and only UI element that contradicts this practice is tabs configuration in portal pages. Tabs are secured through Roles instead, which doesn't make sense to me, as every time a customer creates a new role that should be tied to a specific tab, that would basically require going into AA, assigning the corresponding role to a tab, and redeploying the site - seems like an overkill solution for something which is basically an administrative task.

So, my question is twofold:

1) Am i missing something? Can tabs be secured via secured actions instead of roles?

2) If I'm not missing something: what's the rationale behind securing tabs with roles intead of secured actions?

Thanks,

Nico.