Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Nickel Contributor

Sage SalesLogix Desktop Manager in Windows Client

Wondering what it would take to setup the Sage SalesLogix Desktop Manager to work with the local desktop when running the Windows Client in Terminal Server or Citrix?  If the web services are installed at the server could this be made to work?

This would prevent having Office to be installed on the TS or Citrix servers and especially not needing duplicate Outlooks.

Bruce Pershke

Copper Contributor

Re: Sage SalesLogix Desktop Manager in Windows Client

We're working with a customer at the moment trying to get this working for SLX 7.5.4 Web + Desktop Manager on Citrix - currently, it doesn't (advice we've had from Sage is that it's not a supported configuration, they'll help out as best they can if we run into a defect - the main problem seems to be that the Desktop Manager is designed for a single user machine ie two seperate Windows logins to a Win7 machine would have the same issue)

There's a Community Forum post somewhere we've seen which mentions how one person managed to get it working, but we've gone through that with the customer and it's not worked for them - I'll try and dig the forum posting out in a minute ...

Copper Contributor

Silver Super Contributor

There most definitely *IS* an issue - and more so on CTX. You will not get it to work currently as the issue is that sagegears.dll is not being shared across all users. Hence, it will register per-user and subsequent users will act like its not installed for them. This means the front-screen will show a "Enhance SalesLogix" box instead of "Enhancements Installed". We've been working with Sage Tech for a few weeks now on this and they have provided updates of DTM to no avail currently. The current workaround is not nice: - Add the user to Admin group - Register dll's as the user - Remove user from Admin group This is after installing the DTM to a central location of course.
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike, I've been having discussions with Sage UK support about this and they haven't mentioned anyone else trying to get the same thing working - I'll check with the customer if they can try this (add user to local Admins, register DLL from shared location, remove user from local Admins) with a single user to confirm, though I imagine this will be a real pain-point if they have to do this for every user that might want to use the Citrix version of SLX

Silver Super Contributor

Sage UK do know about it (Sage Germany do too as a BP in DE has the isse as well) - but this is with Sage US Dev. Unfortunately, it's been going on since 9th Apr and we've been testing out new bits and pieces all to no avail right now :-(
Silver Super Contributor

BTW - Once you have the DTM installed to a central location - it's only sagegears.dll that needs to be registered (as admin) - as this is what the login page is looking for (for it to run/instantiate). You cannot regsvr32 this as the normal user (unlike slmn.dll for example). It has to be whilst the user is member of Admin (not even an elevated cmd prompt does it). Not does Power Users. Been there, done that ! No joy.
Copper Contributor

Thanks, have asked customer to confirm if doing this for one user resolves the issue for that user (just the sagegears.dll file)

Silver Super Contributor

Albeit - I've not actually tried that (pointless for us as 130 users!) - so would be good what your findings are. Also, you *must* de-install the DTM - then re-run it making sure you use change user /install, then install it again to central location and then change user /execute. Let us know how it goes !