Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Accepted Solution

SLX Mobile 5.5 BlackBerry Development Environment Setup Guide?

I have the 5.0 version of this document and it saved my bacon back in 5.0 and 5.1. But now the rules have changed a bit and this is way outdated: anyone have a newer one?

Re: SLX Mobile 5.5 BlackBerry Development Environment Setup Guide?

No hits on this? How many people are actually using SLX Mobile? I've had it 2.5 years and never seen a Dev Ref, and none of the SDK files have been updated for 5.5 (realeased around 6 months ago?)

I hate hearing myself whine, but if it weren't for the Helpdesk, I would have shelved this two years ago.

Michael

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Michael,

I have attached a preliminary document for 5.6 which describes working with the BlackBerry development environment. It is for 5.6 but should suffice for 5.5 as well.

By the way, there is a seperate board for Mobile issues which you may want to explore.

Jens Kofoed
Director, R&D
Sage Mobile and Wireless

Forgive me Jens: attached? Not familiar with this form, where do I find that document?
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Michael,

It seems that attachments aren't working properly so I've pasted this preliminary documentation for 5.6 into this post.

BlackBerry Prerequisites

There are software prerequisites for a BlackBerry environment. These products are freely available and do not carry license costs, however, due to licensing restrictions it is necessary for the developer to download the software for installation. The prerequisites are summarized in the following table: 

Application

Version

Description

Java 2 SDK  

1.5.0_07

Java 2 SDK and Runtime Environment, Standard Edition v5.0 Update 7.

Java 2 Wireless Toolkit (WTK22)

Java 2 Platform Micro Edition (J2ME), Wireless Toolkit 2.2.

Note Updates to the Java 2 Wireless Toolkit will require the build script to be modified.

Research in Motion BlackBerry JDE  

BlackBerry Java Development Environment.

4.2 to 4.7 is supported. Please see Using Multiple JDE Support.

Apache Ant  

The main compilation application. The install directory becomes the value for the ANT_HOME Environment Variable.

Antenna  

Ant tasks for developing J2ME/MIDP applications based on the J2ME Wireless Toolkit. This is a single jar file named antenna-bin-0.9.14.jar. Copy to the ANT_HOME\lib directory.

Signature files

Check with BlackBerry Code Signing

The 3 files are sigtool.csk, sigtool.db and sigtool.set and need to be copied into C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2\bin

These are available from RIM for a nominal administration fee.

NOTE: Versions may change. The versions provided were correct at time of publication.

Java 2 Development and Runtime environment (JDK)

The runtime can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com. Refer to the installation instructions for the Java 2 SDK. The installation filename is j2sdk-1_5_0_07-windows-i586-p.exe.

Java 2 Platform Micro Edition (J2ME) Wireless Toolkit (WTK)

The runtime can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com. The installation filename is j2me_wireless_toolkit-2_2-windows.exe.

BlackBerry Java Development Environment (JDE)

This is the RIM supported development environment. Use this software to create and sign COD files. Included are both an MDS and a Device simulator for testing customizations without a real device.

NOTE: You must manually copy the API for the RIM JDE (net_rim_api.jar) to your Architect imports folder (…\Library\BlackBerry\Imports). This file is located in the "lib" folder of the JDE (example: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\lib\net_rim_api.jar).

Ant and Antenna

ANT is a build engine used within the Java environment. The Mobile platform uses ANT to handle all of its build functionality, including invoking key signing during a deployment of the .cods to the Enterprise server.

ANT can be downloaded from http://ant.apache.org/

Antenna is a set of ANT tasks for developing J2ME/MIDP applications based on the J2ME Wireless Toolkit. Antenna can be downloaded from http://antenna.sourceforge.net/

NOTE: URLs may change. The URLs provided were correct at time of publication.

Creating Environment Variables

After installation of the prerequisites you must create environment variables. Refer to the installation instructions for each individual program for the location of any required .jar or signature files.

To create

1. Right-click My Computer, and click Properties.
  2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Environment Variables.
  3. Add System Environment variables as shown in the following table:

Variable Name

Variable Value

JAVA_HOME

Installation directory - e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07

ANT_HOME

Installation directory - e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\apache-ant-1.6.5

PATH

Statement to be added to the existing Path statement:

Value: %JAVA_HOME%\Bin;%ANT_HOME%\Bin

Managing the Signing Key

Customizations deployed to the BlackBerry device must be certified by RIM. This process is called key signing or code signing. After signing, you are authorized to use special BlackBerry developer APIs including PIM support.

Signing is not required when you are deploying to the local simulator. Signing must be completed when customizations are ready for deployment. The build.xml.template script can be edited to exclude signing while developing.

Signing keys must be obtained for each customer planning in-house development. If you plan to build all customizations offsite and then package them for server side deployment you need only obtain one key.

Additional information about code signing and ordering signing keys can be found on the developer's site at http://www.BlackBerry.com.

To remove key signing while in development

1.      Navigate to C:\Program Files\SalesLogix Mobile\Architect\Mobile Architect\Library\BlackBerry\Templates folder, copy the build.xml.template file and rename the copy build.xml.template.sign.

This creates a backup you can restore when you're ready to deploy.

2.      Right-click the build.xml.template file and click Properties.

3.      Clear the Read-only option and click OK.

4.      Open the build.xml.template file with an editor.

5.      You have two choices when removing signing from the deployment process

6.      Locate the <target name="sign"> tag and select the section up to and including the </target> end tag. Delete the section. Then, edit the depends attribute in the following section:

<target name="build" depends="compile,preverify,version,dist,makecod,sign" />

to remove the ",sign" text so that it does not call the signing process.

<target name="build" depends="compile,preverify,version,dist,makecod" />

·         If you do not want to delete the signing section, comment out the body of the sign target section.

Comment tags are <!-- and -->

<target name="sign"> <!--

<copy file="${templates}\${program_name}.csl.template" tofile="${build}\${program_name}.csl" filtering="false" overwrite="true" />

<java jar="${bb.buildjars.home}\SignatureTool.jar" fork="true" failonerror="true">

<arg value="-a" >

<arg value="${build}\${program_name}.cod" >

</java>

-->

</target>

1.      Save the file.

The Architect uses ANT to handle building of the Java source files.

To restore signing

·         Rename build.xml.template.sign to build.xml.template.

Using Multiple JDE Support

There may be scenarios that call for advanced functionality in customizations that are available in other operating system versions. These versions must be added to the buildprofiles.xml.

To add a new operating system version

1.      Navigate to C:\Program Files\SalesLogix Mobile\Architect\Mobile Architect.

2.      Within the Mobile Architect directory, navigate to \\Library\BlackBerry\Templates.

3.      Open buildprofiles.xml in an editor.

4.      Select a buildprofile schema, then copy and paste it into the file at the end of the list of schemas before the closing statement </buildprofile>

5.      Change the value of the BLKBERRY name attribute to add the operating system version.

6.      For example,

<buildprofiles BLKBERRY="4.2">

<buildprofile devicetype="BLKBERRY" name="BlackBerry 4.6 Default" version="4.2">

<property name="path">C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2</property>

<property name="wtk_home">C:\wtk22</property>

</buildprofile>

1.      Save and close the file.

The selected operating system version is displayed on the build and deploy form.

To edit the operating system version of the client system

1.      Right-click the BlackBerry client system in the tree view.

2.      Select Edit Client System.

3.      Select the new version from the Device OS Version drop-down list.

4.      Close the window.

5.      Click Yes when prompted to save the changes.

Jens Kofoed
Director, R&D
Sage Mobile and Wireless