Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Silver Super Contributor

Replacement for Export to XL

Anyone (RJ Samp ? Did you do this - seem to recall ???) - got a direct replacement for Export to XL (via include script) that uses ODBC Driver or similar. Basically to export data directly to XL without using COM? Reason is that a 3,000 item grid takes forever. Using ODBC > XL should be nigh on instant....
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Replacement for Export to XL

Mike:

From excel you could always Create Documents that use the Import Data feature and connect to SalesLogix. This may be a solution if you are only concerned with specific Queries, but off course would also mean having to store credentials within the Document.

This may not work for Web users if they can't access the DB Server.

Raul A. Chavez
http://raul.chavez.com
http://www.crmbi.com
Silver Super Contributor

Thanks Raul, unfortunately - looking at replacing the inbuilt script that already exports to XL via COM (which is fine for small data sets, as you can see it "build" the output). I've used the ODBC Driver to export to other formats (such as Access) for other tasks and I know it's about 1,000,000,000 times faster (OK, tad over estimated!) than COM. Just wondered if anyone had already gone to the effort. Not worries about colour coding etc.
Tuned Listener

I'm pretty sure I've used the recordset of the datagrid and did a bulk recordset copy into Excel.  I think it's instantaneous that way even for large datasets. IIRC, there are a couple drawbacks with this method:

-column headers don't come over

-invisible columns in the grid do get exported

But I'm sure both of those can be taken care of programatically.

Silver Contributor

We used the Clipboard (copy and paste into an Excel Document). This worked well unless the User (firm!) doesn't allow scripts to interact with Internet Explorer\browser.

The other approach was to take an ADO dataset and throw it into Excel using an Excel import ADO Recordset command.....then we worked on each column to format, clean up the header, exclude the column, SORT the columns. Let me know if you want to take a look at this.

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Thanks to everyone who replied. I did actually do both routes (ADO Recordset and Clipboard) but found the best version was actually using the save to delimited file: Create a delimited text file that Excel can parse into rows and columns Found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247412 All of the above options are talked about - but, without a doubt, all were better than direct control via COM. Thanks to all who replied.