Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Prevent users from seeing some opportunities in 6.2.6

Have a customer still on 6.2.6 (long story) with a request to have some opportunities
blocked from some users.
I was doing this many years ago by forcing a "SetCurrentOpportunityID" (or
"Application.BasicFunctions.SetCurrentOpportunityID") in the WhenChange of
the Opportunity Detail form or a control on this form but it doesn't seem
to work for me.
(I know this is not a real security but it's good enough for them).

I've tried:
Application.BasicFunctions.SetCurrentOpportunityID strOppID
Application.MainView.AddEx
but both don't do it (Neither when strOppID is a valid OppID nor when it's
blank).

Both work if launched from a button on the Opp Detail form but not when in the WhenChange of the form or txtOpportunityID.

Any ideas?

Roy Helmer
ISSI
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Prevent users from seeing some opportunities in 6.2.6

This would be very easy using a SalesLogix Provider Plugin. 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

I've never done anything with provider extensions, and for some reason thought it's only available for SLX 7.x

How big of an effort would that be for someone who has done something similar?

Basically I need users to only be able to access an Opportunity if they are a member of an "All Access" team or if the Opp was created by a user from the same Division (UserInfo.Division).

Roy Helmer

roy@issi1.com 

ISSI 

Silver Super Contributor

The easiest (read: quick-n-dirty!) is to establish the one you don't want them to view (by checking the seccodeid/accountmanagerid etc during the WhenChange) against the list. If they aren't on the list - then use the SetOppID (the code you had) to move them to a record that they would have access to (a generic one for example). That way, they can't physically get to it. Maybe pop a messagebox to let them know or similar.

Thanks for the responses guys!

The problem is I can't get the Application.BasicFunctions.SetCurrentOpportunityID or the MainViews.AddEx to work when launched from the WhenChange events of the Opportunity_Details form.

It works from other places (i.e. a button on the OppDetails) but not from the When Change.

I had a similar thing working years ago but not sure where and what version of SLX it was, and can't make it work on 6.2.6.

I was thinking maybe I need something like CurrentViewCancelShow to stop it from trying to open the opportunity it's "heading to" and then force to a different opp, but can't think of anything relevant.

Roy Helmer

Gold Super Contributor

Provider plugins are supported right thru 7.5.2.

What you want to do sounds fairly easy if you know a little bit about them (provider plugin).

We have built them in VB6, VB.Net, and C#.net. They are an unregistered COM object/dll. 

Mike's approach should work as well.

What I like about a provider plugin is that it's not possible for any scripting to be able to bypass it.

--

I would prefer going with Mike's approach (SetCurrentOpportuntyID) but as I mentioned i can't make it work from within the WhenChange for some reason. 

Copper Contributor

The SLX Provider will enforce security as long as the SeccodeID on the record is properly populated.  But ACO (and Activity/History) tables have some specific client code that makes things a bit strange (override/change SeccodeID, usually to "fix" records to match Accounts).

From my experience, a Provider Plugin actually will NOT work in this case.  Since Opps are tied to Accounts, there is actually SLX Client code that will change the SeccodeID to match the Account (one of the legacy ACO items).

Mike's suggestion is definitely the "quick and dirty way" but is not truly secure (OK as long as client is aware of limits).  I don't have advice on making it work...

We have implemented custom security for Opps so that only Sales could see Opps (and related Activities/History) but anyone could see the Accounts.  We've also implemented custom security that ANY table could be secured to a specific SeccodeID (so only professional services can see custom billing related to an Account for example).  This even has an admin UI to make it simple to add/maintain security for an entire table without hard-coded SeccodeIDs in script.

This is true provider-level security since we are using the SeccodeID.  However, we use SQL Triggers but with some "magic" script so sync and remotes will still work (credit to Todd Hardin who sorted out some of the foundation for a client).  The Trigger simply "resets" the SeccodeID if the SLX Client "fixes" it to match the Account.  We've been working on it for months and it even works with Outlook integration/Intellisync which is tricky with Activities related to an Opp.

Anyone who is interested can contact me - it's a little too involved to post here.

---
Chris Reich
www.customerconnected.com
Gold Super Contributor

In this case it won't work because he's on 6.2.6 ;-)

However, I have built provider plugins that only allow the Account Manager to see his/her opportunities and/or contacts. It has nothing to do w/SECCODEID in those cases. 

--

Employee

Thanks for the mention on that Chris. Glad to hear that approach is still working well. Hope to get down to Florida some time this year to see you guys.

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group