Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can't connect network clients that has NATIVE CLIENT 10.3.5500 to the slx server that has and older native client version

Hi, we have installed SLX 7.5.3 server version. All the SLX NETWORK users that uses sql native client with the same version as the server (10.1.****.**) can connect correctly with the server, but some users, has another piece of Software installed on their machines, that installs them the SQL native client version 10.3.5500.**, and because of that, they're not able to connect to the SLX server ("can't connect to the server" error is showed when trying to log into the application)... What should we do? Should we upgrade the native client from the SLX server to 10.3.5500.**so this will fix the problem as they'll be on the same native client version? Or slx doesn't supports that very new version of the Native client? This issue has to do with the sql or the slx software? Our SLX server is on a SQL 2008 R2. Thanks and regards

Highlighted

Re: Can't connect network clients that has NATIVE CLIENT 10.3.5500 to the slx server that has and older native client version

Hum.. i guess if failed on the thread where i've to put this message on.. please, can someone move it to the correct one?
Thanks
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Can't connect network clients that has NATIVE CLIENT 10.3.5500 to the slx server that has and older native client version

you need to be on the correct SQL Server native client for the SQL Server you are trying to link to.....

2008R2

The install must be in the correct 32 or 64 bit version of the above......

SQL 2005 native client and SQL 2005 Backward Compatibility are installed on all our machines as well....event though we go after a SQL Server 2008 R2 server.

RJ Samp
Highlighted

Ok RJ, thanks for the info... but that makes me think about other questions:

Remember we're talking about NETWORK all the time.. not WEB...

So how do you handle, right now, the fact that some users may install on their computers, other programas that updates their SQL native client, to a higher version than the one they are required to run SLX? (a normal user doesnt knows/cares about the version of SQL native client he has installed, they just "install and forget"). In this scenario, Do you upgrade the whole SLX server / SQL server installation to the highest version of sql native client, everytime a "normal" slx NETWORK user install a piece of software that updates it?.. i guess this is not a best practice.. so.. what do you do right now with your customers? Forbid them to install anything that updates the native client?

Thanks and regards

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

On the CLIENT Machine, simply install the following software items in this order. Stop when you get to the highest server being accessed......I have SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client 64 bit installed on my Windows 7 laptop and regularly access SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 R2.....Oracle 11, MySQL, Access, FileMaker Pro......etc.

MICROSOFT SQL SERVER

2005 backward compatibility

2005 native client

2008 native client

2008 R2 native client

It's not that difficult, my suggestion is to stop overthinking this and succumb to Microsoft's zany set of drivers.

RJ Samp
Highlighted

Ok, so basically, your words imply to forbid users to install anything that installs a higher version of the SQL native client than one that the SLX/SQL server has...
That's what i though
Thanks