Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Silver Super Contributor

xbar 1.1 & CPU Usage

[ Edited ]

I know that there is a warning in the download about CPU raising when quickly selecting items.

• KI - 03: If a user rapidly clicks through their email inbox they may see their CPU usage rise in Task Manager due to Xbar

However, I'm finding that it's worse than the document alludes to.

I've noticed that Outlook becomes sluggish in operation after about an hour or two's usage. Monitoring outlook.exe shows that it pins CPU to around 14-16% and stays there. On an 8-proc/32Gb machine this is still very noticeable (4 cores are pinned at a high rate)

Memory usage has also increased to around 500Mb during this time.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: xbar 1.1 & CPU Usage

Unfortunately, after working with this from 8am til now I've had to remove it - it really does affect Outlook too much. In this state it cannot be released to customers, as the support nightmare that ensues will cripple us ! (and them) ! 

Gold Super Contributor

HUmm... yep - "spot on" Mike - I just took a look at my 4 core system (8gb of ram and a solid state drive) - there definitely is an excessive loading happening here and it is caused by X-bar.

Also seeing increased "failures" (503 errors and "timeout" messages poping up w/Outlook Sync whith X-bar installed.

I am also concerned that if I happen to go to the Junk Mail sandbox folder it is "looking" at the junk!

More than likely I am going to pull/remove X-bar from our systems as well - today. Not ready for prime time :-(

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Silver Super Contributor

Fortunately, there's already a fix in the works - the CPU one is fixed but the Attachment one isn't yet.
Gold Super Contributor

Well - Christmas is coming too ;-)

--

Copper Super Contributor

Beside the cpu usage problem, the quick increase in memory consumption that you've experiences looks frightening as well.

I see the same behaviour on my machine, outlook taking up 500 to 600 megs very quickly and without doing much more than just navigating my inbox and let the XBar synchronize.

Doing some quick memory profiling you notice that the unmanaged memory portion of outlook nearly stays the same, but the managed heap really blows up.

Taking a closer look one can notice that a lot of objects get created (on my machine currently about 8M objectstaking a total of around 380 Megs in gen2) that seem to survive consecutive GC's. Most of them sit in gen2 after a while and do not seem to get collected, leading to fragmentation and exhausting resources.

The profiler i am using reports at least following three major problem areas:

- string duplicates (localization?)

- leaking event handlers

- WPF binding leaks

Gold Super Contributor

Definitly a lot of issues w/X-bar.. seeing the same thing here. I'm creating an email to all my customers to give them a heads-up on the CPU/mem  issues as well as the problem of X-bar "looking" at contents of the junk mail folder.

Looks liek it just may be time to un-install until until we get a ready for prime time release.

--

Silver Super Contributor

WPF Binding Leaks was/is the issue - causing a knock on effect to everything else...
Silver Super Contributor

Good news, 1.1.1 seems to solve this issue !
Gold Super Contributor

and where is 1.1.1?

--