Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Elite Contributor

What constitutes a "transaction" when syncing?

So, I've always wondered about but have never gotten around to, finding out what constitutes a transaction when doing a remote sync.  When syncing, in the "Synchronization Client" window, it will say "Applying 481 of 10117 transaction..." etc...  But what makes up a "transaction..."?  Someone asked me and I couldn't give them an honest answer.  Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over this, but just wondering.
Tuned Listener

Re: What constitutes a "transaction" when syncing?

Most of the transactions are modifications or additions to existing records, one field at-a-time.  So, if you modify the city, state and postal code, and type in a new email address for an existing contact, you would create four transactions.  SalesLogix handles conflict resolution on a field-by-field basis, which explains why changes to city, state and postal code would result in three rather than just one transaction.  So, in the event someone changes the city and someone else changes the state for the same address, both changes would be applied correctly to the host and remote databases. 

A new record and a deleted record are also each considered to be a transaction.  For example, if you complete an activity and create a follow up activity, you created at least three transactions:  A delete for the completed activity, an insert into history for the completed activity, and an insert for the follow up activity.  Furthermore, territory realignments, picklist updates and other tasks that the SalesLogix Administrator performs on a daily basis create many transactions.  Many tasks that the administrator performs need to be applied to every remote database.

Fortunately, SalesLogix has a very efficient sync process.  It only creates transactions for remote users that have access to a specific account or user's calendar, it compresses the transactions before it sends them, and the apply process is very quick.

I hope this helps.

Mike Fournier

mike.fournier@sonoransoftware.com

Mike Fournier
Sonoran Software Solutions
Mike.Fournier@SonoranSoftware.com