Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Elite Contributor

Top 3 reasons to upgrade to 7.5?

We're on 7.2.2

Can anyone suggest the top 3 non-web client reasons to upgrade to 7.5?

How about any reasons why we wouldn't want to upgrade?

Thanks,

Larry

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Top 3 reasons to upgrade to 7.5?

OK.. here's some:

A - You need 7.5.2/3 to run on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) - NO previous versions support (nor run correctly) on Windows 7

B - Server 2008 and 2008 R2 support

C - SQL 2008 and R2 support

D - An SData Portal w/the latest updates/fixes (which) is needed for the to be released HTML5 based "live" Mobile Web

Use on iPhone/iPad/Andriod devices... BB OS 6 devices w/html5 browser.

E - The "normal" reason: Bugs fixed in the Hard (as well as soft/VBScript) Code

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

RJL,

Thanks as always! I don't know what our Server OS is (I doubt 2008 is in the works anytime soon) but we're still SQL 2000 and next step is SQL 2005 this quarter or next so again a long way from 2008. Similarly, can't imagine Windows 7 anytime soon for any of our Clients but we've had a handful of Vista machines sneak into the mix so Windows 7 is a possibility. I'd just put them on Citrix if they do.

But the big ticket item is clearly that SData Portal and Mobile/Web Client which is the reason I'm recommending we move forward as quickly as possible. You've trained me well! Smiley Wink

I was just looking for supporting reasons to present a business case. I never liked the bugs fix reason because invariably new "bugs" and FAD anomalies are introduced that cause as much headache or more than those that we know about and learned to live with!

Thanks again,

Larry Esposito

Gold Super Contributor

Thanks Larry.

I'd suggest that going to 7.5.3+ would be a good idea for Vista based systems. WIn 7 has some of teh same pain points (ex:UAC) that Vista has.

As for me.. I never went to Vista (like 99% of my clients) and stayed w/XP Pro until WIn 7 hit the scene.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Silver Contributor

It's 1 upgrade process from 7.22  instead of 46 hotfixes.....

Any changes to your hardware, SQL Server, OS, or Office (Excel, Exchange, Word)  will be a better chance in 7.5.3 to work\get fixed, than in 7.22.

From a LAN perspective, going to 7.5.3 is like 7.2.3. Evolutionary, not Revolutionary.

And if you need to access SLX via Web Services or use Mobile Phone Web, it's a snap...... without deploying SLX to the Web......

RJ Samp
Copper Elite Contributor

RJS,

Nice not to have to do all those hot fixes (mostly for the web client, I heard), but we still have an intermediary minor version upgrade (7.2.2 to 7.5) before installing SP3 I would assume, although not a big deal.

So it's more compliant than it's predecessor, not that we had any problems that I can think of.

And it will seem like we're going from 7.2.2 to 7.2.3 (i.e. not that much of a change for our LAN/Citrix and Remot Clients)

And once there, sData Portal opens the door to the Mobile Phone Web without the need to deploy SLX to the Web!!!

Thanks,

Larry Esposito

Copper Elite Contributor

RJL, For one of your reasons to upgrade to 7.5x, you mentioned: C - SQL 2008 and R2 support
Copper Elite Contributor

We are currently using 7.2.2 on SQL 2000 and plan to migrate to SQL 2005 or SQL 2008 R2. Are you saying we can't go to SQL 2008 R2 until we upgrade SLX to 7.5?

Thanks,
Larry Esposito
Employee

Hi Larry

You need to pay close attention to the compatibility checklist available on SupportOnline.

SQL 2000 is not supported for anything over 7.2, and Windows 2008 is only available from 7.5 upwards.  There is a good knowledgebase article which clearly outlines the best practice for upgrading SQL and SLX and the correct order in which to carry that out.

Thanks, Emma

Compatibility Checklist

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks, Emma. I was making my post, I thought to myself I could just check the compatiblity list. I'll see if I can track down the KB article. It looks like you included a compatibility checklist on your post but I could only see a red x. Thanks again, Larry Esposito