Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Server Side Cursor

If you are not familiar with the Server Side Cursor (very few are), you run the risk of creating a Group that can return inaccurate information. Today, I noticed that a Group was missing our biggest Opportunity. Thank goodness I didn't forward the list to management like I normally do. But how many times have I and countless others distributed erroneous data because of the innocent misuse of Server Side Cursor Groups? Why would I even want to use such a product?

Thanks,
Larry Esposito

Employee

Re: Server Side Cursor

I do not recall a defect in Server Side (SLX OleDB Provider) cursor funtionality that results in Groups lists missing records.

Is it possibly that you have included an inner join in your columns or criteria that is resulting in some records not being included in the list due to the rules/logic of inner joins?

Appreciate learning from your experience if I've overlooked or forgotten about a specific gotcha.

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP didn't say which version of SLX he was using, but SLX LAN 6.2 did have a defect in the way group queries were optimized (I think it was called Server side/Client side querying) that could produce inaccurate results.  This was frustrating because the query shown in Show SQL worked properly in SQL Analyzer, but what actually hit the database were two queries, the first of which might exclude records that were being searched for in the second query.  I found a workaround, by putting IDs from joined tables in the layout I could make it work correctly.

This defect was corrected in a Service Pack 4 or 5 I believe, and was included in the list of fixed defects published with the SP.

Anyone still using SLX 6.2 LAN who can't upgrade to 7.5 for whatever reason should at least install 6.2 SP 5 or 6 (SP 6 in US States that observe Daylight Savings Time).

Message Edited by DanCarvin on 06-11-2010 10:44 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Sorry, Dan, the problem started when we upgraded from 5.2.7 (?) to 6.2.2 and it persists into 7.2.2 or so I think.

Todd, I have been waiting to hook up with SalesLogix Support who is familiar with the problem and a workaround that includes picking the Return Distinct Row Only in the Group and some of what Dan was suggesting. I'm not sure what inner join rules/logic issues you're referring to but I suppose that could be the issue. I thought I knew what the issue was since we have an existing example but I am unable to reproduce it with another example in our Production system or the Eval system. And until I can do the latter or have SalesLogix figure out how to reproduce it, I'm realizing it may be my problem and not SalesLogix's.

We'll keep you posted with our findings.

Thanks,

Larry Esposito