05-25-2011 10:24 AM
So, this client is having me do further investigation with regard to the efforts around upgrading from 7.5.1 to 7.5.3. I've reviewed the "Applying" docs and it seems pretty straightforward for a LAN client (home/remote) on SQL Server. The biggest issue is that we need to create 9 different packages across three different software distribution systems (the result of a company acquisition and tool changes due to W7).
What I'm hoping someone can provide me with would be the following:
1) It would appear that the HF's to apply to SP3 for a LAN install with remote offices and clients are 2, 6, 7, 9 & 10. Yes?
2) What ISN'T supported in Office 2010 64-bit? Still trying to find out if they will be running 32-bit or 64-bit.
3) Is there a "Known Issues" list for the most recent, patched 7.5.3 version and where can I get this?
4) Is there a resolved issues for v7.5.4 as well as a known issues for v7.5.4? We most likely wouldn't go 7.5.4 just because we won't be able to apply HF's after a release of this magnitude (as measured in overall effort not actual single upgrade)
5) Finally, any gotcha's I should be aware of or is everything covered off in the Apply guide?
Thanks for all the help.
05-26-2011 02:50 AM
1) It would appear that the HF's to apply to SP3 for a LAN install with remote offices and clients are 2, 6, 7, 9 & 10. Yes? That’s correct.
2) What ISN'T supported in Office 2010 64-bit? Still trying to find out if they will be running 32-bit or 64-bit. Nothing is supported with 64-bit. We only support 32-bit Office.
3) Is there a "Known Issues" list for the most recent, patched 7.5.3 version and where can I get this? It will be included in the Service Pack Documentation. You can get this from http://support.saleslogix.com/ . If you do not have access contact your local Support Team.
4) Is there a resolved issues for v7.5.4 as well as a known issues for v7.5.4? We most likely wouldn't go 7.5.4 just because we won't be able to apply HF's after a release of this magnitude (as measured in overall effort not actual single upgrade) Not available yet due to still being in Beta.
5) Finally, any gotcha's I should be aware of or is everything covered off in the Apply guide? Not from my side, just ensure you carefully read the guide and follow each step thoroughly.
05-26-2011 08:45 AM
Emma, thanks for the details. Couple of follow-ups:
I couldn't find any known/resolved issues docs for 7.5.3, just 7.5.2. Do you see those listed?
I know the compatibility chart says that the remote db needs to be Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP3. Do you know why SP2 won't work? That is going to be a major sticking point as there are 45 remotes and they all appear to be on SP2.
05-27-2011 02:37 AM
05-27-2011 08:40 AM
Thanks again for your response. Couple of quick items. Given the vastness of the Known Issues, are there any particular issues in 7.5.3 that I should bring to the client's attention? They don't use tickets, campaigns, sales orders but they do use opportunities, VA, and are highly customized.
And just to clarify the point on remote clients being okay on any SP of SQL Express, here's a screenshot of what I am seeing in the compatibility checklist on the support website (http://support.saleslogix.com/docs.php3?file=/Sage_SalesLogix_v7.5.3_Compatibility_Checklist.pdf):
05-27-2011 09:17 AM
So, I've also been asked to try again and get the details around what is being fixed in v7.5.4. Due to the effort involved in this upgrade it is important to perform due diigence around upcoming releases. I'd imagine with v7.5.4 almost being in RC that there should be a pretty good idea of what is being fixed. I don't need a blessed copy of the PDF, just a list of the items that have been checked off the known issues list or added features, especially around WIN7 and Office 2010 compatibility. Anyone?
05-27-2011 09:18 AM
05-27-2011 10:46 AM
I suggest you talk w/your BP about what's in the beta. It's not public info until the SP goes "Gold/GA"
We have done beta since teh 4.x days and always keep our customers in the loop.
05-27-2011 11:13 AM
I'm actually contracting through a BP on this project. I have them looking for more info but was told early on that this site may be more helpful.
Knowing that you have extensive SLX experience, do you feel v7.5.3 thru HF10 LAN (network & remote...) is a good choice to have the client upgrade to, if they choose to upgrade. Or do you feel they are better off going with SP4, knowing historically that HF's tend to follow the releases fairly quickly, and the ability to push these out at this client will likely be non-existent?
05-27-2011 11:35 AM
Yes, this site can be very helpful but there are specific forums on BETA that are not available to everyone. It is in these forums you find out just what is going on.
Depending on the timeing.. you are better off to go with the latest SP (SP4).
SP4 is RC1 at the moment. This means under "controlled" conditions one can deploy it to a production environment and will be supported to move to Gold when it comes out. There will be an RC2.. and if things go as they have past betas... well.. 'gold" will be "close"... (revealing more will require me to "dis-able" you ;-)
There are quite a few changes happening in the SP. There are several hundred fixes to Windows/LAN, simular to the "platform" in general, and also to the web side.... PLUS improvements in SData and the html5 (mobile web) app... AFAIK the SP4 release will be a bit different in that you will get a (qualified) "Full" release.. Let me explain:
A - If you are on 7.5.x, this will serve as an upgrade
B - If you are a newcustomer and never had Slx Installed.. it will serve a a full install
C - If you are "pre-7.5.x" then you will have to use the 7.5.0 (full release/upgrade) to get to 7.5.0 first.. then run this.
In all cases, you will be able to build out the latest "Install Image" for (Windows) LAN/remote client installs so that at install time (for a new or a case where the current slx is un-installed first) it's a "one-shot" deal.
Does this help?