Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

SLX in French

If anyone could provide me with some guidance on this, it would be most appreciated....

Currently my company is running on v7.5.1 with moderate customizations and we just opened up a new office location in Montreal Quebec Canada.  Because of our compliance laws in Canada, we have to convert SalesLogix on their PC's into French.

Now my BP has given me the SalesLogix Localization Toolkit to allow me to convert the .exe's and .dll's into French and I was wondering if anyone on this discussion board has used this tool before?  I kind of understand how it works but I am unsure about everything I have to do.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong but, from speaking to my BP, the base out box .exe's and .dll's should have the translated strings already populated with the French translations when it is exported to a .csv file as the toolkit already has French listed as popular language column.

I am lost on this and I want to try every avenue to do this conversion in house before I pay thousands of dollars to my BP to do it for me.

Any help will be a huge benefit for me in this topic.

Thanks!

-Dennis

Employee

Re: SLX in French

Hi Dennis.

I'm attaching our Localization Handbook which explains localizing SalesLogix on both LAN and web (you didn't mention which, I suspect LAN though). Let me know if you have further questions once you review it.

Thanks 

Brian Donison

SLX QA

Bronze Super Contributor

you don´t have to do this by your own!

There is a french localised version available. Please contact your sage office! France and Germany are the two languages with localiesed Versions by sage (perhaps Spain also, I don´t know).

Bye

Michael

… stay connected!
Nickel Super Contributor

Hey Brian,

I have reviewed the handbook and I understand what needs to be done, but I am still a bit confused...

My BP has provided me with the dictionary to use with my localization project and I have created a specific dictionary through my project, but I seem to be missing one key file:  SLXIntForms.slx

The handbook tells me that it is created automatically by the toolkit but I cannot seem to find that file....

Any advice?

-Dennis

Employee

Hi Dennis.

As you now know, SLXIntForms.slx is the resize file containing coordinates so the forms can reposition & resize controls at runtime. The toolkit creates the file based on the language you selected - would be French.SLXIntForms.slx which you would simply rename. However, it's a lot of work to do the resizes - they aren't done automatically. My advice is to contact the BP who provided you with the dictionary - he should also have the resize file. As Michael suggested, best to not reinvent the wheel if you don't have to. Also, if you don't have the file SalesLogixINTL.ini you can easily create one using the sample in the document I posted.

Our localization center in Dublin, Ireland has created a fully French-localized product (including install), but the end result is owned by the French OpCo who commissioned it and I don't know what they might charge. In addition, I'm not sure if there would be any significant differences between French-France and French-Canada in terms of translations. If it becomes necessary though let me know and I can put you in touch with the localization center and they can give you more info.

Regards,

Brian

SLX QA

P.S. - I see you're in Calgary... I'm from Regina. Go Riders! 

Nickel Super Contributor

Hey Brian,

Thank you for the quick response, it was greatly appreciated!  I have contacted my BP for that file and I will let you know in this thread if I have any other questions during this process.

P.S. - I never knew rider nation extended that far south... Stamps all the way baby!

Nickel Super Contributor

Hey Brian,

I am currently on my LAN PC working on the localization files for remote users that will be getting the localized version of SLX and I ran into something interesting...

So I have my dictionary of terms done and I want to start on my forms so I try to add my SLX database to the localization window to start on them, pick the right server and DB, use my admin logon and password to test the connection (which succeeded), and click ok, but then I get an error message telling me that my authentication failed.

Any idea as to why this happened and why I cannot load my db?

Employee

Hi again. I assume it's the localization toolkit we're talking about here. Strange symptom - are you able to successfully connect to that db with another SLX app, like Admin? Also, what version of the toolkit are you using?

Brian

SLX QA

Nickel Super Contributor

I can connect to the db using Administrator and architect on my local PC to the server without issue.

I have versions 7.0.1 and 7.5.0 to play with and tried using both with the same result.  Its weird because on both versions I test the connection and the dialog box says "Test Succeeded" yet when I click ok I get the same authentication error...

I am if I have to do the form resizing on the server where the db lives in order to connect with it properly but I didn't think I had to do it that way

Employee

Very strange... the toolkit uses the same provider connection as other SLX components so if Admin works so should the toolkit. Are you using the toolkit from your local PC also (same machine as Admin)? There is no requirement to run the toolkit from the db server, so any client machine would do. You could also try a SQL native client connection and see if that works.

Alternatively, you don't need to connect to the actual db you want to localize in order to run the toolkit. The process doesn't alter the db, so as long as the one you're connecting to is the same (SLX version, customizations, etc.) you can use any db to generate the resizes - just choose your language and load your FR dictionary.

It's unfortunate your BP couldn't supply you with his resize file also...

Brian