Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

SLX SP3 Desktop Integration - Please help

Hi,

Our company is in the process of upgrading from SalesLogix Web 7.5.2 to Service Pack 3. We're aware of this new Desktop Integration executable that allows for integration between SLX and MS Office. It allows for Send SLX, Record to History, Drag and Drop of email history, etc.

The problem is there is no documented process, that we can find, to deploy efficiently to a hundred or more users. Also, the REAL challange for us is installing this on a Citrix box, that will be serving SLX and MS Office to users. My questions are below:

1) It's our understanding that we have to unregister all the pre-SP3 dlls that allowed SLX SP2 and MS Office to integrate. After un-registering, we then run SlxDesktopIntegrationSetup.exe to install the new integration for SP3. There is a point in this install that requires the domain name and port number, as well as the username/password to finish configuration. Question: Is there a way to efficiently install this desktop integration to many user's machines without having to hit each and every user's machine individually? Also, if you install the SlxDesktopIntegrationSetup.exe as a user, does this user need elevated privileges to install this integration software successfully.

2) How is this desktop integration install installed on Citrix? What is confusing is that citrix serves so many people. All of these people will be using Citrix for their SalesLogix and MS Office needs. If SlxDesktopIntegrationSetup.exe is installed as an Admin on Citrix, how can we ensure that all users get the needed functionality. Will each user profile on citrix be setup appropriately. In other words, when the dlls get installed to the "Sage" folder under the admin user, will each user who logs into Citrix have the integration functionality?

I know this is a lot, but help would be really appreciated. Let me know if additional info is needed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: SLX SP3 Desktop Integration - Please help

Hi,

Normally the old dlls should be unregistered automatically, while the new integration is installed.

Currently the Desktop Integration is not designed to work on a multi-user system, even not on a normal pc where more than one user are working on.

Here is what you can do:

Install the toll as an administrator.

Copy all files to a folder all other users have access to (program files...).

Register all dlls from the program files - or where ever you copied it to folder - again.

Then create a link to the copied exe file so every user runs the one he has access to.

This may work.

I do not know when Sage is going to change this, but as I said, currently this is a problem.

Alexander

Highlighted

Thanks Alexander. Just some questions for clarification:

Is the solution you're suggesting above for a Citrix configuration?

When you say install the "toll" did you mean dll?

So let me see if I have this right (I'm assuming this is Citrix):

1)As Administrator on Citrix box, run SlxDesktopIntegrationSetup.exe or click the ENHANCE SALESLOGIX button when logging in. This will create and register the dlls in the admin folder...(Programs Files/..Sage). Whatever that folder may be.
2)Move those dlls to the user-specific folder and register them.
3)I'm unsure what you mean by creating the link to the copied exe. Could you give me details on that part?

Thanks very much.
-Lou

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Ok, here some more details:

1. Yes, run the setup for the DI.

2. Copy the complete folder (do not move it) to a place where all users have access to.

3. Register all dlls from the new folder.

The DI runs automatically if a user logs in, in order to work.

So the installer creates an autostart entry for the useraccount the DI is beeing installed with.

What you neeed to do is create an autostart short cut for all your users, pointing to the location, where the user has access to (not the original one from the DI installer).

Does that make sense?

Alexander

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

We have a customer running 7.5.4 that would also like this functionality (run the 7.5.4 Web client + DI on Citrix) and have gone through the steps below but the customer still cannot drag/drop into SLX and gets the "Enhancements not installed" message at the login screen

- Install SLX DI as Local Administrator

- Copy the installed files to D:\SLXDI (all users have access to this folder)

- Registered the necessary DLL's from the D:\SLXDI folder

- Created an entry in Startup pointing to D:\SLXDI

- Sealed the image (not sure what this means/entails as I don't generally deal with Citrix)

After this, users still cannot use the SLX DI on Citrix - has anyone else got it working and should the steps above work or is anything additional needed for it?

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

See post in other thread. Current situation is that it doesn't work on CTX/TS. At all.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

hmmm....so why do you run the web client on Citrix? Security?

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

It's not security - we're in the process of building/shipping a Web Remote Office to an area which has poor transatlantic connectivity (where the users are currently using Citrix from) - the customer is pure 7.5.4 Web, and the latency/packet drops going transatlantic currently mean that access via Citrix is more reliable than direct access to SLX Web to the main office server - hopefully a web remote office will improve matters for them, but they would like the ability to access via Citrix if needed