Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

SLX Client silent install

We have a client currently running v6.2.3 who we are currently planning to role out v7.5 for.  However we do not deal with the client machines, and have no control over installing the software to the workstations (around 40), and the IT team wish to roll out the SLX client via a Microsoft SMS server, without any user interaction using the /quiet flag on the SalesLogix Client.msi installer.

However when we use this parameter the installer appears to ignore the cfg file, and consequently does not set up the server and alias settings, and even sometimes seems to install the remote client instead of the network client.

Is there any way around this? Has anybody managed to roll out the client in this way and what options do we have?

Thanks

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: SLX Client silent install

Hi,

I had the same issue last week and raised this with Sage, it has now been logged as a defect with the US! Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a workaround as yet (except a manual install)

Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

You have to deal with a couple of things:

a - The cmd line switches <- If you build a client install image you will see a "shortcut" that is created which has some cmd line switches.

b - The cfg file itself. <- It needs to be modified. There are several lines in it that point to other folders, etc. Unfortunately, they are based on the location where you built the install image and not where the install actually takes place.

Adjust these items for YOUR environment and you should be able to get the desired results. Every customer situation is different.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

RJ,

So If I want to run a silent install using:

msiexec.exe /i "C:\SalesLogix_InstallBuild\SalesLogix Client.msi" /q

What would I need to update from my client install build/cfg file below?

Build Install:

C:\SalesLogix_InstallBuild\setup.exe /v/qr

SalesLogix Client.cfg:

[Properties]
CLIENT_TYPE=1
SLXDBSERVERPORT=1706
SLXDBSERVER=empath-e-svr
SLXDBSERVERALIAS=EVAL
RTFFILEPATH=C:\SalesLogix_InstallBuild\
INSTANCENAME=SalesLogix
SECURITYMODE=SQL
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1
REDISTPATH=C:\SalesLogix_InstallBuild\
READMEFILE=C:\SalesLogix_InstallBuild\
BROWSER=Yes
INSTALLINTELLISYNC=

Message Edited by AdamTravers on 09-01-2009 04:50 PM
Regards, Adam Travers
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Notice everything is ref'd to the "C" drive. Is that where it's "landing" on the target system?

It's all trial and error to get this working right.

BTW.. we never do the deployments this way. We have the customer "push out" the Remote Install Image we build from the SalesLogix Image (SP/HF and all in one) to the c:\temp directory on the remotes. Then we can invoke the install.

--

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

It is all on the C: drive as Im still testing it on a vmware image for a client.

Regards, Adam Travers
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Good Best Practice using VMWare images to test deployments. We do the same!
--

Highlighted

I'm trying to silent install SQL Express 2008 R2 and SLX  Remote Client sp4 on a brand new machine that has no SQL and SLX. I created a build for remote client and added all the hotfixes to the remote client.msi. But to my surprise the build does not contain any SQL components. I ran the silent install from a batch file like this

msiexec /i "C:\SLX754RemotewHF16\SalesLogix Remote Client.msi" /qn, it installed the remote client successfully, and of couse SQL was not installed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to silent install both SQL and SLX install together?

Thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Employee

I don't believe it is. From the Implementation Guide:

When installing Sage SalesLogix using an automated installation, third-party

(prerequisite) applications are not installed. Third-party applications must be installed

separately. Installations for these applications can be found in the Redist folder on the

Sage SalesLogix media.

Highlighted

Emma, I had read that paragraph in the imp guide before. However, I was told by two SLX support analysts that SQL components can be installed with the client in unattended mode. When they said that, I thought that was contradictory to what's in the imp guide. Thanks for your confirmation. 

Christine