Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Nickel Super Contributor

SLX Attachments

I have an issue I've been trying to deal with lately that I would like perspective on from someone, here is the scenario:

SLX v7.5.1

Have not touched the SLXAttachments folder since initial install (3 years ago), currently 13GB of files

When a user tries to open up an attachment in LAN, they've been finding that it takes upwards of 2-3 minutes to open the attachment (including small jpeg files).  This sometimes leads to pegging of their CPU and freezing up.

I am thinking that the folder is compressing all the files and that the decompression is what is causing this to happen but I am unsure.

Any thoughts?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: SLX Attachments

Wow, 13 GB in 3 years! We've amassed 6 GB in 10 yrs. While our LAN Clients take forever (over 10 min) to switch to an Account with an extremely large number of attachments, we haven't experienced the issues you've described in opening them.

Attachment management has been a serious oversight in my opinion, at least through version 7.2.2, where we are now. This problem is augemented when trying to sync huge subsets to our remotes. Our only viable option is to copy the entire documents folder rather than go through the sync server but then that puts our security auditors in a very foul mood.

Did you check with Sage? Let us know how you work this out. You obviously can't ignore the problem.

Thanks,

Larry Esposito

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Larry,

You bring up a good point about Attachments being overlooked/ignored for years.

AFAIK there have ONLY been a couple of notable changes in Attachments since day 0 of SalesLogix 13+ years ago):

A - A customizable Attachments tab (FYI - this was originally done by a "SalesLogix proservices group" for a client in Europe and found it''s way back into the product.

B - Changes to allow us to control the synching (or not) of attachments. About the same time we received capabilities to allow blocking of sync based on attachment size.

C - Prefixing the filename w/the attachmentID so that we can have different attachments that have the same name!

There still is a rather "nasty bug/restriction" that impacts synch of attachments. This is the "Attachment name too long problem. The problem has been around forever but the actual cause of it was first discovered (at least) a year ago.. and on disconnected web (remote) users (NOTE: it impacts ALL users - normal remote, web remote, RO's, main db, etc). Teh way you see this is when you see a "synch error" that says it cannot move the attachment from the "Temp" area (to where it belongs - documents).

We can level a significant part of the blame for this problem squarely on Microsquish. They have had a "path length" limit for a LONG time and anyone working on the SalesLogix Web client has seen this when restoring a project, a web bundle, etc.

However, Sage SalesLogix does not check the length of the attachment name/path when one "attaches" an attachment... but they DO check the web bundle(s). The big problem is that part of the attachment "process" is in "hard-code" and only Sage can fix this.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

While the path length sounds like an issue, albeit MS's, I'm really looking for the following 4 enhancements: 1. Archiving ability 2. Synching Filters based on Create/Mod dates 3. Utiltity to copy attachments by Team (Seccode/Dept) 4. Folder organization Thanks, Larry
Nickel Super Contributor

"C - Prefixing the filename w/the attachmentID so that we can have different attachments that have the same name!"

I think this is what is killing my company.  With so many files in the attachments folder, I can see where the system takes its sweet *** time to open the file up that is requested.   Ridiculous if this is the cause of my head scratching....

Gold Super Contributor

Same name does NOT mean it's a duplicate (document).. it's just that.. same name.

For example, you could have a "standard" document name called strategy.doc for every Account. Same name.. different doc.

The REAL problems are:

A - Sage SalesLogix still uses the Microsoft File share system access/protocol that it has used for 13+ years

B - There is and never has been any kind of hierarchy/organization to attachments/documents. They are all in one "folder"/directory.

C - The documents/attachments subsystem does not have an optional compression system.

D - There's no "ownership/security" over attachments/documents (No SECCODEID)

E - There's very limited capability when it comes to verifying/maintaining teh "integrity" of attachments/documents.

F - There's a rather nasty problem (w/sync) if you name a document with a too longname or use certain characters when naming them

G - There's no "archive" capability.

E - etc......

All of these issues (and more that I'm sure some of you can come up with) make working and maintaining w/attachments/documents difficult.

Oh yes.. 100% of these issues apply to Web as well as Windows/LAN.

--

Nickel Super Contributor

At the end of the day, the current structure is what it is.......... Crappy! haha

Copper Elite Contributor

My biggest concern with Attachments is Security. When Attachments grow beyond the practical use of one's Sync Server to send out associated files to new remote installs (i.e. an issue for Sage's larger and/or long lasting clients) we are left with 1 of 3 choices:

1. On Demand - Only sync attachments as requested but users have to frustratingly wait multiple sync cycles to receive files
  2. Build a utility - to select, compress, (encrypt) and deliver all associated files outside the Sync process (most prudent)
  3. Copy all Documents - While by far, the most convenient solution, this could be one of  your security auditors biggest headaches.

I'll try to identify our growing list of security concerns in a separate post.

Thanks,

Larry Esposito

Copper Elite Contributor

7.2.2 (unsure whether to start a new thread I opted to keep issues in this one since not much activity on board these days)

Does anyone know if Remotes can "Request" attachments on-demand if and when they are not available on their pc? The Attachment Tab has a Status column and Help suggests that this should show Available/Requested/Delivered but when I click on an unavailable attachment from my remote (I never synched any to my remote), I simply get the following message:

"Your SalesLogix Administrator has disabled the Synchronization of attachments for this record.

Contact your Administrator for assistance."

Thanks,

Larry

Gold Super Contributor

Ques: .. can a remote request an attachment they do not have?

Ans: Yes

Ques: I request an attachment but get a message that Slx Admin has disabled sync attachments..

Ans: Admin has un-checked the Sync File Attachments in your profile

--