07-01-2013 06:34 AM
I just wanted to share my experiences and ask you to give feedback, if you see the same or may have suggestions here.
I opened up an opportunity in FF and changed the status to "Closed - lost". Within seconds the dialog where I can enter add-on information pops up.
I opened the same opportunity using IE10. I changed the status to "Closed - Lost" and after a minute i get a time out error from the server. No dialog pops up.
Has someone else seen this?
Also in general, I know that FF is fastern than IE, but I see a very big performance difference between the browsers using SalesLogix.
I have installed all updates for SLX, this means LAN 01 - 09 , model 01 - 03, core 01 - 03.
Thanks for any feedback! Alexander
07-02-2013 09:18 AM
If you leave the system for a minute or two do you receive an onscreen error like this?
Server request has timed out
If you check the Windows Event Viewer for the same time do you also see an error starting like this?
Sage.Platform.Application.UI.Web.ApplicationPage - The user is either not
authenticated yet or their authentication has been revoked (e.g. the ASP.NET
Session may have ended).
07-03-2013 09:12 AM
I don't know if this relates to your problem, but I do know that the .NET framework need to be upgraded to version 4.5 on your server in order for IE10 to work correctly. I had weird things like these going on until I read about it and upgrated the framwork.
I know it's something that you might have already done, or that could be unrelated to this, I'm just putting it out there in case there's any chance it could help.
07-03-2013 09:36 AM
Just to let you know that this has been identified as a known defect, id: 13092224.
This will be resolved in SLX 8.0 Web Core Update 04.
There is a double post issue in IE that is causing ASP.Net issues server side and the update will correct this.