Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor

Runtime error 255 - when Visual Analyzer is accessed

Hi,

We're running 7.2.2, LAN and Remote.  We are also using Visual Analyzer (2.5.0).  It all works grand except on one PC.  The PC is a brand new  Dell Latitude e6410 compact laptop.  Everyone else is running on Dell Latitude e4200 laptops.  Everything is fine except when the user accesses Visual Analyzer during a SLX session. If they do, usually, but not always (about 85% of the time), when the user logs out of SLX, either by using the big X or using the File --> Log Off, they get the following error messages when SLX closes.  (The messages also occur if the VA window is closed in SLX prior to exiting.)

"The instruction at "0x07033fa6" referenced memory at "0x073221bf8". The memory could not be "read""

Upon clearing this error, they get:

"Runtime error 255 at 7C812AFB"

Sometimes the following message occurs 1 to many times between the two messages above:

"The exception unknown software exception (0xc0020001) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812afb"

If the user does not go into Visual Analyzer during their SLX session, they never get these messages. This occurs with the Out of the box qvw file and setup.

The only thing in the windows events logs are "application popup" messages saying the same thing as the first message. I have cleared cache, and temp files, and removed a few reg keys (on SLX Support suggestion), but the problem still remains. I have also done a complete uninstall (including removing the things left behind by the window's remove program utility) and re-install of all the programs.  The error occurs on both a remote DB connection as well as a LAN connection, and happens for both admin and the user. Logging in as the same user on another machine never produces the error.

I came up pretty much empty searching the forums (except a couple of mentions of  the DST patch and a entry in the 7.X known bugs that describe the symptom occurring sometimes (no mention of VA though), but no follow-up on it) and out in the virtual world at large, and SLX support has no answer either. They did a remote session into the PC to check permissions, Virtual Memory, and a few other things.  Our BP has no ideas either.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Runtime error 255 - when Visual Analyzer is accessed

First, GREAT troubleshooting, research and post! The only thing you seemed to leave out is SLXProfiler. I'm not sure it could offer any insights for the VA component but it's worth a try unless others suggest otherwise. I think VA is actually a repackaged QlikView app. You might want to check out the QlikCommunity.

Thanks,

Larry Esposito

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Thought I would close this loop.   After a little prodding of our BP to Sage why we are being charged S&M for Visual Analyzer when we are, in fact, getting no real support for VA, we seem to have found the answer. Turns out our BP had another customer who had the same issue, and they were able to trace it back to synchronizations.  

If the remote client runs a sync while Visual Analyzer is open, the errors appear. If no sync runs, no errors.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get hold of the remote user who is having this issue to confirm that would fix his issue. I did, however, run the flip side of the test by running a sync cycle on my remote database while Visual Analyzer was open, and low and behold, on exiting SLX, I get the exact same error messages.  Still might be something else going on with the other remote user's PC, but in case any of you run into this, you might test this out.

For their other customer, our BP wrote code to prevent the Sync from running if VA was open. I think we will just live with it though.

Patrick

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for closing the loop! If what you're saying is true, shouldn't everyone running 7.2.2 with remote clients run into the same error if running a sync while VA is open and then exiting SLX? So Sage hasn't had others calling them on this?