Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Tuned Listener

Mail Merge Templates

Is it possible to insert pre-made mail merge templates into the CRM? I have my own that I want to use.

Employee

Re: Mail Merge Templates

You would have to create a new template and then copy/import the data from your other template. Note that the mail merge fields used by Saleslogix are not identical to the ones created by Word, since the Saleslogix ones include metadata about the database field and formatting. Any mail merge fields would have to be recreated.

Thanks

Mike

Employee

Also, if you are referring to templates that have already been created in Saleslogix (rather than in stand-alone Word), and that you want to apply to another database, you can bundle them in Achitect.exe just like other plugins. If you need versioning, it must be handled at the SQL level, since mail merge templates to do not have auto versioning (similar to reports and groups); referring to Plugin.CompanyVersion.

Thanks

Mike

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

there's another way if using LAN-Client functionality is an option.

There is the very old and nearly forgotten function "UpgradeWordTemplate" in Application.BasicFunctions, which was originally designed to upgrade MM-Templates from v4 to v5.

As those v4 templates where stored externally, something similar to your intent happens when applying this function.

The external Word-Document gets imported as a regular plugin (Id returns from the function), the plugin family can be determined by parameter.

Eventhough this thing was intended for something else and is marked as deprecated in v6.2 it is still present in all SLX versions until v8.1 and working with word 2003 doctype formats until at least docx in word 2010. That's what we are using it for.

It surely does no magic in converting or implementing the proper mail merging placeholders, but it at least imports the document as is in one go and works well for us.

Feel free to use the attached LAN bundle which uses the function and adds a Submenu in the "Write"-menu bar of the LAN-Client for your own purposes (and on your own risk),

W. Andreas

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for the Wizard. The import works, but I can't use the templates afterwards.
When I select them in the Mail Merge Windows I get the error "%1 already exists" and the merge afterwards fails.

Tested on 8.0 and 8.1 SNC03b with Office 2010 and 2013 docx.
Is it probably no longer working?

Regards,
Marco

---------------------------
Ambit AG, Switzerland