Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Mail Merge Error

On of my coworkers recently encountered the following error message when attempting to write a letter using a template through mail merge.  The mail merge works however there is an error message when it's completed/closed and the document cannot be reopened.  She had no problems the day before and no software/hardware changes have been made.  She is running Office Home and Business 2010 and SLX 8.0.0.8734 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.

"The Mail Merge was successful, but there were errors copying some or all of the resulting documents.  Please see the Mail Merge log file "C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\SalesLogix\MailMerge\Log\(SLX user ID#)\MailMerge (User ID#) Date time.log for more information."

The word document appears in the list of attachments, but an error message appears when attempting to open the attachment.  "The requested file (file name) was not found."

There was no file in the log folder but the word document was accessable in C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\SalesLogix\MailMerge\Temp

Any one else have this problem or have any solutions?

Thanks,

Catherine

Employee

Re: Mail Merge Error

It's possible that antivirus software had the file open when mail merge was attempting to copy the document. The log file may have been copied to the attachments folder (i.e. at the same location the Word document's path is defined as in the attachment table).

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted

The problem has pursisted on every mail merge attempt even after restarting the computer and trying another user log in on her computer.  Her computer was infected with a Trojan about a week ago (quarantined and removed) but she was still able to create mail merge letters after that up until this morning.  I was able to have a completely sucessful mail merge with her user on another computer, so the problem is definitely linked to her computer.  Any ideas other than a system restore to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Catherine

Employee

I'm really not sure; if the LOG file could be located it might help. Generally if a file cannot be moved or copied it's related to file or folder permissions, so you might check the directory security for the user. It's also possible that the file was opened by another process which prevented mail merge from accessing the file. You could try using the Process Monitor from Microsoft to help diagnose this.

Thanks

Mike

I have no words to explain it but the problem seemed to magically resolved itself.  The only change I made was adding back the temp files I deleted yesterday (thinking the folder might be full) and the mail merge was completely successful even though it didn't work with or without the temp files yesterday.  There is still no log file in the log folder but as long as the mail merge continues to work, I'm not going to worry about it.  Thanks for your help!

Gold Super Contributor

Were there some "re-boots" along the way?..

Sometimes "ctrl-alt-delete".. reboot is a GOOD thing ;-) 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

Just one restart yesterday and the problem still persisted.  The computer was only locked overnight.  Maybe it just needed to sleep off the problem!  I'm just ecstatic the problem is gone.  Hope it doesn't happen again!

Gold Super Contributor

When I have a system that acts like that.. we take it out and use it for a wheel chock for a day or two.. fixes it every time ;-)

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html