Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Have you ever seen: “Database Login Failed: Unspecified Error” on your SalesLogix Remote?

Well.. we have seen this a few times and here is ONE of the very simple things that causes it:

Having "wireless on" - and connected and a hard-wired network connection at the same time.

Now knowing this, I can also tell you that there MAY be situations where this is not the cause because the pc/laptop "behaves right" and only tries to use ONE of the network connections - BUT I do know this is the exception rather than the rule - rjl's BLOG

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever seen: “Database Login Failed: Unspecified Error” on your SalesLogix Remote?

This issue has continued to plague some of my customers even after a full "rip and replace" (or "nuke and pave" ;-) type of process. The area where it tends to be a BIG issue is on Windows 7 systems and may be the cause of why Speedsearch sometimes mis-behaves after a (Windows 2008) server reboot.

What I am eluding to is simply this:

Windows 7 and Windows 2008 systems were designed with what you might call "quick booting". Now neither really does not boot quicker but rather "fakes it" by just getting e-nough stuff up and running so that you get a login prompt.

To compound the mess.. SLXSYSTEM.exe is (at least in v7.5.3 and v7.5.4) installed as a service. Now why would I suggest running SLXSYSTEM.exe as a service compounds the issue? First of all - right from the Sage SalesLogix KB

Solution 6: This can occur when the SLXSystem.exe process is no longer responding to system requests and may need to be manually stopped via Task manager. The SLXSystem.exe process should normally only be running when the SalesLogix Client has been launched and should in turn close when the client is closed. The SLXSystem.exe can be installed to always stay running as a service but this is not recommended for Network or Remote workstations. Open Windows Task Manager. Click the Process tab. Locate and right click on the SLXSyste.exe process. Click End Process. On the Windows Task Manager window, click End Process. 

What I would like to point out is:

"....but this is not recommended for Network or Remote workstations..."

Also, in the past (on XP Pro and WIndows 2003 servers) this problem - the subject error - typically did not happen.

So back to the issue/problem..and solution....  What I have found is in 99% of the situations where we have seen the subject error.. 100% of the time it gets (partially) fixed by simply Disabling the "SalesLogix System Service" in Windows Services so the SLXSystem.exe is NOT run as a service.

NOTE: It will automatically start when called by a "SalesLogix Application" such as the client and/or Synch even if synch is set to auto-sync.

TO add.. what about the Speedsearch situation.. well, Speedsearch is also a "client app" and so far we have not come to a good solution for it failing but are convinced it is related to SLXSystem.exe starting "too early" and not really getting hooked up the SalesLogix DB "properly". SO far doing a service reset on SPEEDSEARCH right after every time the server is rebooted has resulted in getting it back on track.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Have you ever seen: “Database Login Failed: Unspecified Error” on your SalesLogix Remote?

Yes I have (seen the error)! But I hadn't seen this post (until now)! We are a 100% XP Pro OS shop and only a handful of users have received this error over the last 2 years. I have always suspected it was a Windows Update that caused the problem or perhaps some non-approved software like a Google Toolbar that has known issues with Dynamics. My fix was typically a reboot but I have done 2 nuke and paves to resolve unrelenting issues. I will review your suggestions the next time I see it!

Thanks,

Larry Esposito