Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted

Failed to Parse SQL when trying to Replace Data

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm new to database administration and am learning as fast as possible.  I created a Test contact, gave it a mail code and mail code descripton (Contact.C_MailCode.Mail Code and Contact.C_MailCode.Mail Code Description). I then used Tools/Maintenance/Replace Data to go through and change those values. Everything went exactly as it should. Then I used a query to create a group of nearly 400 existing contacts I needed to change the same fields for, but when I went through the same process as I did for the Test contact, I received an error saying Error Replacing Data: Failed to Parse SQL. I thought maybe having that many contacts with so many different existing mail codes might have been complicating things, so I created a smaller group of 12 contacts that shared the same mail code and tried again, but with the same result. Any ideas on what's going wrong?
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Failed to Parse SQL when trying to Replace Data

You may have a bad record in the group. Cut the group size by 50%.. try it.. if it fails, then 50%  again, etc.
--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted

Even though I narrowed it down to just 12 people out of the original 400? I suppose it would be my luck that the one bad record would end up in that group. I guess I'll have to take a look at it again today and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the idea.
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Happens... I went down this path a couple of years ago on a "Bad Group"... 
--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Have you tried adding the primary keys to the group layout? Have you checked the joins?

Highlighted

I'm a little confused. How/where would I check the joins and add primary keys if I'm using the Replace Data wizard?
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Just an idea since you are running the Replace Data wizard based on a group. I have run into this a while ago, and if I remember right, I made some adjustments to the group I was using, mainly adding the primary and foreign keys, and it worked. Just something to try.

Highlighted

Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot.