Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings

Database Login Failed: Catastrophic failure

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm not sure where to even begin.  Initially, our users were able to log into their databases without any problems. Then one by one, some of them have had problems logging into their database/saleslogix. At the login prompt, they would get this Database Login Failed: Catastrophic failure.  Some just required a reboot of their computer and then were able to login again. Some others not so lucky, they're locked out from getting in Saleslogix (version 7.5).

I tried doing the Test Connection but that failed as well.  The users arent network users.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Message Edited by drey123 on 03-08-2010 02:08 PM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Database Login Failed: Catastrophic failure

Do you have the SQL Native client installed on all workstations accessing SalesLogix?

Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited

Yes, they're all loaded with SQLserver.

Gold Super Contributor

This is not what gets loaded on the SQL Server.. but rather what is on the client workstations.

All PC's (servers, laptops, desktops) that are to run a SalesLogix app (ex: Client, Admin, Architect, etc) must have the appropriate SQL Native Client installed on them - manually. It's just not there. When MS released SQL2005 (and2008) they released a new "driver" and it's not part of the OS, MDAC, etc as it was w/SQL2000.

You have to do this to each and every system yourself. It's in the SalesLogix (upgrade/install) documentation as well. 

The error you describe fits the "missing SQL Native Client" issue to a "T". 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html

RJLedger, about 3% of users are encountering this catastrphoic failure error message, the rest have not reported the same issue. I may have been misinformed, could you elaborate more on what you said in the previous post?  Thanks

I noticed under Computer Management > Services and Applications > SQL Server Configuration, under there is SQL Server 2005 Services, SQL Server 20005 Network Config, and SQL Native Client Services.  Not sure if that helps.

Bronze Super Contributor

Are we talking about remote LAN version users?  If so, make sure the local instance of SQL Server is running.   Make sure the clients are running the same version and SP level as the Saleslogix server.     If the remotes are running MSDE 2000, this is not supported in SLX 7.5, and should be upgraded to SQL 2005 or 2008 Express.

If the remote users have SQL 2005 Express and production database server is SQL 2008, you have to cut the database on a SQL 2005 Express instance. 

Copper Elite Contributor

One of our customers had today the same issue. Over 50 Users are working but some user receive

the following error message when login: "Database login fail: Catastrophic failure" - Login Error

Our customer is using the SLX LAN Client over Citrix 7.5.1. I hope it is not something completly new...

Have you tried to restart the following services?

Service SalesLogix Server
Service SalesLogix System Service

Is there something in the eventlog? 

Hope this will help 

Best regards

Lukas Richter

I have tried restarted the local Salelogix server and the SQLserver.  Also tried detaching and reattaching the database.

There's nothing unusual in the eventlog.

Copper Elite Contributor

In our case the restart of the services solved the issue...

Where can you get this "driver"? Is it part of the windows updates if SQL2005 is installed?