Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Crystal Viewer does not open on one PC

Hi,

We're running 7.2.2 LAN version. We have a custom report that runs the Crystal Viewer when we hit the Print button (custom quotes). For all users except one, this works fine, and has for the past few years.  We have one user who gets nothing when this button is pressed.  It is not record specific, and records she tries work fine on other machines (logged in as her or as someone else).  

What normally happens is that the viewer opens, and as long as it is open, focus cannot be returned to SLX. When she presses it, after a few seconds, she has focus back in SLX as if nothing has happened.  If I bring up her task manager though, I see two SLX icons, one that shows the screen she is actually in, and the other shows either just a black screen (image?) or no image at all.  It is as if, the viewer is trying to open, but just doesn't make it.   

We are on XP2 with all the current security patches, etc. She is a dual monitor user (as are many others without issues)....   I have tried the "repair" option, but haven't yet done a complete uninstall/ re-install.  

Thanks for any thoughts.

Patrick

Gold Super Contributor

Re: Crystal Viewer does not open on one PC

Some things (in SLX) just do not work right on dual-monitor. AFAIK Sage SalesLogix has never published anything guaranteeing that it will (and that is going back to day zero - over 13 years ago).

Having said that.. I have seen it always work if SalesLogix is on the primary monitor and some things on the "secondary".

The Crystal viewer is not a Sage developed product - it is part of the OEM agreement w/Business Objects (Now owned by SAP). It just may not like the dual setup. If you have one that works, check the dual setup that fails and see if something is being displayed differently. Also, suggest cruising the net (Google) to see if there's a dual monitor issue w/SAP Crystal posting out there.

Note: It seems to be far more difficult to get good answers on Crystal since SAP bought BO. 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Super Contributor

What doesn't work with dual monitors?  I've used SLX with dual monitors for years, and the worst thing I've expereinced us that soemtimes something will popup in an unexpected location.

What the OP describes sounds to me like like a window, such as an error message, hidden behind another window.   What I suggest in that instance is...

1) In Task Manager, try select one SLX icon, then the other.  You may get the window or message to come to the top where you can read it and click OK.

2) Press the enter key.  If an OK button has focus, this may close the window.

3) Move windows around, close any aps that you can close, and the hidden window may come into view.

4) If nothing above works, uninstall SLX and remove the SLX registry keys, then re-install.  This may fix any corruption that is causing the problem.

Bronze Super Contributor

Thank you both for your replies. RJ, you seem to have nailed another one.  Dan, I had actually tried to bring the second window to focus, but it would not render at all. I didn't try hitting "enter", but will keep that in mind for future problems. We did close and move other windows, but still couldn't find the hidden one.

In the end, I had the user remove the second monitor from displaying, and set the laptop monitor as her primary. At this point, everything worked fine and the viewer brought up the report as normal.  We then moved the primary monitor to be the external monitor, with still just a single monitor display, so the laptop monitor was sleeping. That also worked fine. Then we just turned the laptop monitor back on as the extended desktop monitor and it all still worked fine. 

It seemed to be a matter of getting the Crystal Viewer in sync with SLX in the same screen. Don't really know the root cause.....Maybe the user moved the Viewer from the Primary monitor to her extended desktop at some point, and Crystal was trying to open where it was last, but trying to open in the resolution of the screen SLX was now in which is quite different than the laptop display, so had issues... Going back to RJ's original comment that this is not a SLX product, but an integrated third party tool...  I don't really care much at this point though.

Thanks again!!

Patrick

Gold Super Contributor

You're welcome.

Based on what you just posted (laptop w/2nd monitor) and the fact there seems to be some sort of screen resolution things going on too... not surprised there were issues.

I've tried to use a 2nd monitor w/both of my laptops and hit issues where things just would not display correctly (and it was not SLX or Crystal - it was std MS Office apps).

If you had been using a desktop w/a dual monitor card and both monitors the exact same make/model/resolution, it probably would have not given you any issues.

--

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting...   I've used laptops (Lenovo and HP) with external monitors as the primary and had no problems.   Right now I'm using a tower Dell model with a 1 year-old widescreen flat panel as the primary and a 12 year-old CRT as the secondary.    I had to try several resolution settings for the CRT before finding one that looked good to me, but once I was done with the set up I've had no problems (I'm using an aftermarket PCIx video card with one DVI and one VGA output).   I just tried launching Crystal Reports from SLX (7.5.1 LAN) and had no issue, regardless of which screen SLX was in.

I'd be interested in understanding which dual monitor setups are problematic and which are not.

Message Edited by DanCarvin on 03-03-2010 09:54 PM
Message Edited by DanCarvin on 03-03-2010 10:03 PM
Gold Super Contributor

Unfortunately with all the different types of and combinations of hardware interfaces plus OS's, drivers, etc, it is impossible to come up with a definitive answer as to what works and what does not.

Al I can say is that Sage SalesLogix has NEVER com out with a statement on dual-monitor working or not. I can't speak for SAP/BO or any 3rd party software working or not either. If you go back to the partner NG's (yes, they are still up and running and once in a while one of us does publish something there.. and not here) and search on dual you do see some postings (just looked at one dated in 2007.. and took a couple of seconds to locate ;-).

In the end... if it works.. it works. If anyone has a dual config that works (completely or otherwise).. just add to this thread telling us all:

A - What hardware (pc info.. make, model, memory, video hardware, etc)

B - Software (OS.. SP/patch level, video driver software, etc)

C - Make/model of the dual monitors

Even more important, tell us what is not working and what the config is so we don't waste time on it.

--

Employee

Have not had any dual monitor issues on LAN or WEB, client apps nor development apps (Architect and AppArchitect).

In my case I generally run two external monitors and do not use the build in Laptop monitor.

Dell D830 with two external monitors.

IBM Lenovo T-60 with Dual external monitors.

I suspect the problem is actually about running dual monitor where the monitors are not running at the same resolution - i.e. probably not an issue specific to notebook internal monitors, just a side effect of notebook built-in monitor often being a different dimension or max resolution than a single external monitor.

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group
Gold Super Contributor

I've not seen dual monitor issues w/the same monitors at the same resolution either. 

The cases that seem to always be at issue are as you pointed out.. Internal laptop w/external monitor that just do not match up. 

--