Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Automation of project backups

Hi all,

Is there any way to automate the project backup mechanism which we take from applicaiton architect.Because my client want to take backups on weekly basis with out any intervention as we use to release the bundles on every weekend so before we release and deploy the bundles client is looking for automatic project backup mechanism to a specified location. Is this possible now in this edition. Or i need to post it in idealogix

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Automation of project backups

I would guess that there are many ways to do this.  Write a batch file to copy the local VFS folder and run it from Task Scheduler.  Or use any backup application to backup the VFS on a schedule.     
Bronze Super Contributor

But my doubt is how can we automate it. For taking VFS back up we need to go Application Architect and click on project workspace manager and we need to take the back up by clicking on backup project. how can we write the batch process to copy updated back up file

regards

jack

Bronze Super Contributor

My understanding is that the backup/restore VFS function of Application Architect simply creates/extracts a ZIP file of the selected VFS folder more conveniently that it would be to use WinZIP.    If there are other required data saved/extracted by this process someone please correct me.

If there are other things going on that would make an external backup process not viable, then I agree I'd like to see something like a backupvfs.exe utility that could be launched from Task Scheduler with parameters for the VFS and backup locations.

Employee

Since 7.50 or 7.5.1 there has been a command line tool called ProjectBackupRestore.exe.

You can use this tool to automate backing up or restoring projects.

The project can be in VFS or on your local hard drive.

Type ProjectBackupRestore.exe at the command line to see usage information.

FYI - A project backup is just a zip of the model with a backup.zip extension that contains an extra metadata file describing the backup.  Nothing special.

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi

I Tried to call this tool from my commandline. In fact i installed slx in c drive. So how to call this .exe

Is it some thing like

cSmiley TonguerogramFiles>ProjectBackRestore.exe

or am i missing some thing

Regards

Jack

Employee

I apologize.

It was my understanding that this was a publicly released tool, but that is not yet the case. 

I've attached a copy of it until we can publicly provide it in a more formal manner.

This version depends on 7.5.2 and should be placed with the rest of the tools like FSCopy.exe .

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi jboyce,

Thank you so much for the help and also for the utility. I have run(installed) the given exe. But still i am unable to find the help for the ProjectBackupRestore.exe when ever i have typed that in the command prompt

I have tried both in c drive as well as in the path i have installed saleslogix. the following are the ways i have tried for

1.CSmiley EmbarassedProjectBackRestore.exe

'ProjectBackRestore.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

2.  C:\Program Files (x86)\SalesLogix>ProjectBackupRestore.exe

'ProjectBackRestore.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Note: In my machine i have installed saleslogix in Program Files (x86) Folder

Please suggest

Regards

jack

Employee

I believe I know what the problem is.

The executable needs to know where to find its dependent assemblies.

I'm attaching an app.config file (you'll have to unzip it) that specifies where to find these assemblies.

Place this file next to the executable in your C:\Program Files (x86)\SalesLogix folder.

Slx Dev internally uses a simpler folder structure that does not require this config file.

The file had not been created since this tool is not yet public. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Jason it is awesome that you are participating in the community and offering up solutions. Thank you very much.
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM