Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

8-cloud-Can you link Notes to Opp of another Account?

Hi

Previously in 7.0.something LAN we could link a history note/email/call/etc. to an Opportunity from a different account than the contact was listed under.  The note would then appear at the Account level, and Contact level under the Account where the Contact was listed, and under the Opportunity for the different Account. 

This was great as we often have correspondance from say a rep or a buying office who is not on the Account where the Opportunity resides since they aren't the end purchaser of the equipment.  We liked that we could see the info in both places.

Now in 8 cloud, when I enter a note or drop in an email, when I select an Opportunity, it will automatically change the Account and Contact to the Account and primary contact for that Opportunity.  If I then try to change the Contact name it will remove the Opportunity from the note. 

So as a workaround I have to drop the note in twice - once under the actual Contact and Account with whom the correspondance took place, and once under the Opportunity that it relates to on the other Account.  The problem (aside from the double entry) is that when I drop it into the Opportunity, I either no longer see the contact with whom the note was actually associated, or I see the wrong person, depending on how I enter it. 

Was this something changed intentionally between versions?  Is this mearly a "cloud" issue?  Can an administrator undo this forced link?  If so, how?  Should this be submitted as a bug?

Any info on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Kim

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: 8-cloud-Can you link Notes to Opp of another Account?

[ Edited ]

1. It's not a bug, your previous system had a customization.

2. The Default AccountID for an Opportunity Note is that Opportunity's AccountID.

3. The default ContactId for an Opportunity Note is the Opportunity's Primary Opportunity ContactId

4. If you change the ContactID for an Opportunity Note, the AccountID for the Opportunity Note becomes the AccountId for the Contact.

If these rules have changed between versions, there you go......

What we've done in the past is to Add a couple of 'AccountId' fields to the Activty AND History tables:

DirectAccountId: this is the Account that you talked to the Contact about. The Contact is at Headquarters....and you talk about a store\branch\facility in Timbuktu.....and store the AccountId in the DirectAccountId field.

OpportunityAccountId: This is the AccountId for the Opportunity.

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Re: 8-cloud-Can you link Notes to Opp of another Account?

Hi RJ,

Ok.  Then what is the point of being able to add Contacts from other Accounts to the Opportunity, if you can't link their notes?  Because I can add Contacts from any Account to the Opportunity as Contacts.  I think the ability to that is an acknowledgement that Contacts outside of a particluar Account may be related to an Opportunity. 

I don't believe the previous version we had had any customization as we had minimal customizations to that system, expecially regarding Opportunities.  But anyway, I will forward the info to my administator to see if she can change the rules or implement something like you've suggested.

Kim