Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

8.000 LAN Grids with large record counts?

Anybody seeing serious degradation in performance between 7.5 and 8 for say the History Grid? 500+ records in a grid.

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Employee

Re: 8.000 LAN Grids with large record counts?

I believe this has been reported; not sure what the defect # is. The issue, if I recall correctly, is that the Sortable property is set to True in 8.0 for some grids; it should be set to False for performance reasons.

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Thanks Mike.....and what happens for mulitple page selects if Sortable isn't set to true.....we were getting horribly inconsistent results for multipage selections within a grid in the 'old' days......

It is good to see that Columnar sorts are being done locally as a gridname. recordset.sort Field1......much faster than going back to the server for an ORDER BY sort AND having to go through the row by row SECCODEID and Field Level Security scrutiny (row level SQL Transactions + SLX OLE DB Provider interaction on rows and field values)  that you just went through with the same recordset on the load of the grid.....

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Employee

RJ,

The following is the official answer: The Sortable property was set to True to address navigational and scrolling performance with a tradeoff of a degradation in loading performance; the default configuration should work best for most customers.

In other words, in comes down to fine-tuning/customization in the end, based on customer needs.

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

MIke,

This all sounds fine and good... BUT it is not documented anywhere  - ex: not documented in SLX 8.0 release/notes for upgrade nor in the training/re-cert for v8.0 on SageU.

I wonder how many other (un-documented) changes were made in 8.0 that we will all have to discover the hard way (wasting hours and $$$ in the process).

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Ouch Mike! this was NOT documented in any 8.0 release notes......

And no mention that the Notes History Grid still has 2 Unnecessary round trip retrievals for every 1\single refresh of the grid....yes it's BADFAD, been around for years, and is a major factor in poor grid performance for larger retrieved recordsets....but if Sortable T F is a design decision, so should best practices for a grid be showcased in the base SLX product.

RJ Samp
Highlighted
Employee

Thanks for the comments and information guys; I'll foward your findings along.

Thanks

Mike

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Awesome Mike, thanks for posting up here!!!

RJ Samp