12-03-2012 12:34 PM - edited 12-03-2012 12:36 PM
So I got a new machine, loaded it up with Windows 7 x64, Office 2010 (32 bit), SLX 7.5.4. All worked great, even at Bootcamp!
Then this morning, it started doing what my old machine did, crashing on loadng Outllook. All I did I think was change the database my sync client was acting on and then restarted Outlook so it would use my main database. So I removed the SLX Address book and Oulook loads, but the Go To SalesLogix button is gone.
I have not been able to get it working again and will give up and try with Sawgrass.
12-03-2012 02:00 PM
Advice from my business partner:
Sage have now confirmed the Outlook address book issue is resolved in the next version, SalesLogix 8.0.
…this issue finally lodged as defect #12090311 against SalesLogix v7.5.4. QA … confirmed this issue is not duplicable from SalesLogix v8.0 RC 4 …
12-03-2012 04:22 PM
The typical approach has been for the SalesLogxix team to "retrofit" a change liks this as a HF to a previous version. Now that 8.0 is Gold (as of approx 2pm - or so EDT) maybe they will create one.. or maybe not.
12-04-2012 11:10 AM
Well I decided to give it one more shot and removed the client and cleaned out any detrius left behind. I rebooted and reinstalled and so far, it's working again.
01-19-2013 03:56 PM
Well after upgrading to v8, the issue came back. Outlook hanging on load, exact same symptoms as before.
Tried remove/reboot/reinstall, no good.
Tried manually un-registering/re-registering slmn.dll and slxab32.dll, no good.
In the end I deleted the Outlook Profile (the only one I had) and recreated it. I also un-registering/re-registering slmn.dll and slxab32.dll since after I didn't see both Send SLX and Go To SLX buttons. Now it works.
I shouldn't have to go through this, very frustrating.