02-08-2012 08:00 AM
I have an open ticket with Sage on this right now (reference: SalesLogix Case - 4831564), and they are actively working it. Interestingly, when I used a fresh image of Win7, I had no problems. Just re-imaged again today, and will run through it once more to see if I see how it goes.
02-08-2012 12:48 PM
I have received complaints about issues w/7.5.4.xxx and Outlook 2010 as well. SOme work.. some don't and there seems to be no quick and easy fix.
As for me.. we have stayed on Office 2007 accross the board and will not move to 2010 until I see something solid.
03-19-2012 08:26 PM
I ran some diagnostic stuff for Sage Support and sent them them dump files for them to analyze, then got busy with some upgrade tasks. I think they are waiting on me for something. I'll check in the morning. I did see something today which might have been related. Something about going into taskmanager, right clicking a process, and telling it to run in XP mode. That fixed someone's issue on Win7, but not sure it is a direct parallel. I'll try to get back to this tomorrow and give you a better update.
03-20-2012 09:29 AM
03-20-2012 10:27 AM
The process was "agent.exe". Running it in XP SP3 Compat mode made no difference. Outlook still hangs on loading profile.
There was also a suggestion of running Outlook NOT in Cache mode. Again, that made no difference.
My Ticket with Sage was closed due to my non-response. They were waiting for crash files from a PC where, well, Outlook didn't crash... Not sure what that was about. They were previously sent crash files generated from DebugDiag from Microsoft.
I've asked them to reopen the ticket.
08-26-2012 09:19 PM - edited 08-26-2012 09:31 PM
Does anyone have an update on this item?
We are on SLX 7.5.4 and since upgrading to Outlook 2010 our users are not able to add the SLX Address Book to Outlook.
Once added, Outlook no longer launches.
Regards ... Tom
08-27-2012 09:06 AM
What I have found, and it is by no means scientifically tested, is that on PC's where Office 2010 is installed as a fresh install and not an upgrade of previous office components, the dll's have no issue. On PC's where office is upgraded, they have issues. We're past the point where we have office upgrades and only have new installs, so never pushed it further. You might try uninstalling SLX and all Office components and traces there of, and then installing Office 2010 as a new install, then SLX. I'd be interested in the results. There are some other ideas here as well....
09-26-2012 03:01 AM
Our customer also had issues with Outlook 2010 and the slxab32.dll.
- Either you couldn't register at all with the error:
The module slxab32.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8004010f.
- Or you could register but Outlook crashed during start.
The customer is using the "Microsoft Office Customization Tool" and specified a new Outlook profile name which should be used when a new outlook profile is created. This caused the issues! As soon as you set "Use existing profile" and create the profile manually on first run, everything works. I attached you a screenshot of the option.
(What also worked was creating a new profile by hand after the first one was created automatically - outlook took a while to start, but started.)
I don't think this is the cause in every slxab32.dll related case - but it exists because we could reproduce it locally.
Best regards and thanks to our customer.
09-26-2012 04:44 AM