Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Gold Super Contributor

The Lithium needs some GUI improvements to make the forums (more) useful

[ Edited ]

For those of us who have used (nntp) news groups and news group readers (ex: OutlookExpress), the Lithium forums are basically "clumsy" to work with. Going from a Windows based tool that gives us the ability to do things like:

a - collapse and expand individual threads (note these are remembered)

b - set visible marker flags on individual postings for reference 

to a web based GUI that lacks all these makes the Lithium Forums exponentially difficult to work with as the number of postings radically increase. For example, just adding a real "tree control" to the system where one could click on the folder icon on the left side to expand/collapse an individual thread would be a MAJOR improvement.

In addition, there is a really a ton of wasted space in the screen layouts. For example, when you look at the "home page" the forums start half way down the screen (this is using Google Chrome with it "skinned" so the browser menus, etc are not there ;-)

In addition, we need a way to rearrange the forums (or hide them) so that we can see the key ones we are interested in at the top.

Just a couple of comments... Does anyone else agree or have additional ideas? 

Message Edited by RJLedger on 09-03-2009 08:17 AM
--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Silver Super Contributor

Re: The Lithium needs some GUI improvements to make the forums (more) useful

I know I'm considered a luddite when it comes to this - but the transition from NG to Lithium has gone well operationally but the end result sucks. I'm sorry - and I don't want to disparage the great work done by the people involved - but I'm afraid I fully agree. The NG method is much preferred in terms of easier to work with, use and ** VERY** importantly find things again !! Lithium is useful, don't get me wrong, but it hasn't made anything easier whatsoever. It's difficult to work with, **exceptionally slow**, and the layout is just plain awful. The inability to *easily* upload screenshots etc. is just one aspect. I appreciate that, no matter what, it's here to stay but, for what it's worth - the use of lithium should not, imho, be considered a success - given what we had was very useful and much easier to work with on a day-to-day basis.

The kudos, ranking etc. are nice to haves - but I'd lose that in a heartbeat if it meant an easier way of working.

Just my 2p.
Mike
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

RJ and Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.  Others, please do chime in.  We have been pushing for improvements to help us bridge the gap in search functionality, off-line access and speed.  For anyone working off-line during implementations, share your thoughts here.  The more support from you, the harder I can push for change.  Be positive, and tell us what you NEED to have to make this community forum equal--NO BETTER than your NNTP experience.

Also, tell us about the features in the community that you think are better than the Newsgroups.

I support you 100% and will continue to push for these improvements.

Thanks everyone!

You can at least float boards to the top:

Enter a board ( for example Sage SalesLogix Product Discussions).

Hover over Board Options (top navigation bar inside board)

Select Float this Board to the Top 

Gold Super Contributor

Tried it.. but you end up w/a "clone" at the top and the original in the same place. If you change a lot of them you end up w/a LONG window.. lots of mousing..

If it just rearranged things, then it would be right.

Thanks anyway.. but not what I'm looking for.

Oh yes, the float a post to the top is just a messy.. if not worse. Sometimes I wonder if the vendor ever used any real "GUI" folks to test this out.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html