Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Elite Contributor

How do you find any subject in this mess?

I am really, really fresh on using this "community" and I am used to organised newsgroups.

This web-based community is total chaos to me. I would like to use (or at least try to use) this

in the future, but I just don't see how.

Is there a way to organise the subjects on e.g. web/lan or anything?

How do you all deal with this? Why is it all so limited?

Hartog

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: How do you find any subject in this mess?

Check this out by Ryan Farley of Customer FX

Community Explorer - The Desktop Client for the Sage SalesLogix Community Forums

http://customerfx.com/pages/crmdeveloper/2010/02/09/community-explorer-the-desktop-client-for-the-sa...

Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Adam,

This will help quite a bit for sure. And thank you Ryan for developing such a great tool.

However I still feel that Sage fails to give us something we all can use.

Hartog 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Nothing new there then..  Smiley Wink
Regards, Adam Travers
empath-e Services Limited
Copper Elite Contributor

I just miss the old Newsgroups.

When I started my PC the first 15 minutes I spent on looking for new entries. 

I guess I saved myself a lot of time since this community thingy started Smiley Happy.

Regards,

Hartog

Gold Super Contributor

Most of us (especially those who participated in the Partner NNTP based NG's) feel exactly the way you do, Hartog.

The designers of the software behind this community (let's give proper credit/blame to those who own and deserve this) - lithium - really have no clue as to how to build out a decent piece of software that can be truly as useful as the NNTP based NG's.

At least 4 or 5 times a week (sometimes more) I'll use my Windows Search Engine and search thru the 100% locally cached copy of the 10+ years of knowledge in the NNTP based partner's ng. Within seconds I'll usually have my answer. Absolutely not true with this lithium based community. It takes tons of time to find things. I saw this early on and started "tagging" practically every post that I make w/at least one or more "keywords". Unfortunately, not many others tag things at all. Being one of the "top taggers" is no privilege or badge of honor. I'd rather be back in the pack.

But tagging is not the answer. lithium needs to do several things to fix this:

A - Allow nntp (or maybe a public posted RESTful web services API)  access to the entire contents so that we can download all of the text to a local db for local (and off-line) searching. Just think...getting all of the text into a "nato news server" ;-)

B - an on-line search that can search thru 100% of teh posted text and rank it like a KB (humm like speedsearch - DT Search -  does in SalesLogix) 

.. please add whatever you desire..... 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi RJL,

It looks like the road the community is making near my village. There was nothing wrong

with the old one, however the new one has so many setbacks that noone actually wants it.

Literally everyone is complaining, but the road is there and we have to use it.

I am wondering, why can't Sage make more subjects like e.g. lan/web/beta etc.

That would make it a lot easier.

The reason I kept out of this place was exactly the lack of subjects.

I agree that we should be able to download the entries.

Sometimes I am on locations where I don't have access to the World Wide Wonder and a local DB

on my laptop would be of help.

Regards,

Hartog

Highlighted
Employee

Agree with you Hartog - would prefer having a few more categories. I always felt we had a very workable and useful number of areas in the News Groups.

One of the things that having specific topic areas is that the subject line of the post has more meaning - with everything so lumped together, you are at the mercy of the people posting to be very specific and lengthy in their subject line, something that many are not very diligent about.

Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group