Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: CAn anything be done to make the (lithium based) Community site truly searchable?

@RJLedger wrote:

Having a optional NNTP "feed" that we could use for caching off-line and be able to use our own search engine(s) would certainly help.

If not NNTP... what else could we use to capture ALL the posting info? 

I am working on a windows application that will allow you to do all this faster. Search the SLX community forums, drill down on search results, filter results, and view posts (even give kudos) all from a windows application so the navigation will be much faster and searching will be much better. The windows app uses your login to the forums to get access even to BP forums (if the login has access to them). It doesn't cache the results or anything for you to use Desktop Search on it or anything, but hopefully the searching will end up being good enough you won't need to.

I just started it last night and has a ways to go, but I'll be open sourcing it soon on Github (details to come on my blog http://crmdeveloper.com).  Anyway, attached (see attachment below my sig) is an initial screenshot of a very ugly looking app that pulls the data based on a search query - hey, it's a start Smiley Very Happy 

Ryan Farley - Customer FX Corporation / Director of Development

customerfx.com
| slxdeveloper.com | My SalesLogix Development Blog
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: CAn anything be done to make the (lithium based) Community site truly searchable?

Sounds like a fun project! When do you sleep?

Smiley Happy
Timmus Agersea
Black Moth CRM
Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Great!

The screenshot look good.

It does not have to be a "spit and polished" app.. just a useful one! 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Super Contributor

Just wanted to provide an update on the search tool I've been working on to search the community site from a windows application. I am getting close to a release. New screenshot attached to this post (see image line below my signature)

Anyway, you can see quite a bit of the functionality in the screenshot, but for a quick rundown of what it can do (these items are all working now)

• Ability to log into the community so you get to search through all the same forums you see normally on the site (so if you're a BP or a beta tester you'll get those too). If you don't want to log in you can search as a guest to search through only the publically available forums.
  • Search options for exact phrase, posts containing all of the words, none of the words, or some of the words.
  • Search for posts by a certain user
  • Search for posts in a certain forum, blog, or idea
  • Search by any combination of the above (For example: search for a post containing the words "SQL Rule C#" in the forum "Sage SalesLogix Developer Discussions (Partner & Sage access only) " by Nick Galler)
  • See how many kudos a post has - and give a kudos to a post
  • See the entire post body
  • Initiate a reply to a post
  • Go to the post in the community site

Anyway, I hope to have a release very soon.

customerfx.com
Gold Super Contributor

Looking good!
--

Employee

Nice work Ryan - when do you sleep?
Todd Hardin
SalesLogix Professional Services Group
Bronze Super Contributor

Thanks Todd. It's been fun to build Smiley Very Happy

BTW, I am getting closer to a release and I've also added the ability to simply browse the community, newsgroup style as well. See attached screenshot under my sig.

customerfx.com
Gold Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see that you have it available:

http://customerfx.com/pages/cfxproducts/1999/01/01/community-explorer.aspx

Downloaded and testing... on Windows7 Ultimate

Message Edited by RJLedger on 02-10-2010 09:00 AM
--