Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

v8.0 Implementation Guide BUG: WebDLL still requires to be in the Administrators group

[ Edited ]

On the "Sage SalesLogix Implementation Guide v7.5", page 10, it is said:

Add the WebDLL user to the local Administrators group on each Web server involved in the implementation. You must be logged on as a user with administrative rights to do this.

This step does not exist in the "Sage SalesLogix Implementation Guide v8.0". I understand that it's better to configure the WebDLL user without Administrator privileges, but this configuration does not seem to work for Windows 2008. The symptoms are that the Job Service does not start and IIS crashes when a user attempts to log in to the SlxClient.

I strongly recommend that the implementation guide is modified to include the WebDLL in the Administrators group until someone can find the right set of permissions for the WebDLL user in Win 2008. This might also be the case for the SLXService user.

Regards,

Marcos

Silver Contributor

Re: v8.0 Implementation Guide BUG: WebDLL still requires to be in the Administrators group

We got this to work in 7.5.4.....the SLX WEB DLL is not a member of the local Administrators group NOR the IIS Web Group.

Lot's of registry's to play with their permissions.....but it was all spelled out in the Administrators guide......

I don't think that the 8.0 implementation guide OOTB should spell out all of the work arounds.....simply a standard web site implementation. then work with your partner\SDK support and hammer out the user's individual redirections, HTTPS, Windows Authentication, etc.

RJ Samp
Copper Contributor

Re: v8.0 Implementation Guide BUG: WebDLL still requires to be in the Administrators group

Hi RJ,

I think that following the implementation guide step-by-step should give you a working environment, which is not the case. The WebDLL permissions specified in the documentation do not work in Windows 2008. That is why I suggested to modify the documentation.

Regards,

Marcos

Silver Contributor

Sounds like a bug to me as opposed to bad documentation......I'm sure we'll find more of this as we begin testing 8.0.0.8479 for real. I'm not planning on putting ANY clients into this until 2013.....how about you?

RJ Samp
Copper Contributor

We are on a really big migration to version 8. We are doing good, we've found some bugs, but we are working close with Sage and could overcome all of them.

Let's hope we don't find too many bugs :-)

Marcos

Silver Contributor

Good Luck!

I know there are always a few implementations on the edge\leading the charge....we're loading up test sites on the latest version starting ....... now.....

RJ Samp
Copper Contributor

Enjoy ;-)

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Marcos,

currently i am testing an v8.0 Installation in my case i followed the Implementation Guide and had problems with WebDLL not being member of the administration group.

Page 16, Point 5 Set Read/Write access to the following locations:

--> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local" (2008 R2) (64 bit) is not enough

In my case the following settings worked:

Read/Write for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile

OR

Read for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile AND

Read/Write for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local

On first startup, the application needs to create folders and files within the local-folder. Have also a look at this postings:

http://community.sagesaleslogix.com/t5/Administration/SLX-7-5-4-SDATA-E-FAIL-when-changing-Data-Sour...

http://community.sagesaleslogix.com/t5/Administration/Your-login-attempt-was-not-successful-Please-t...

I agree, that documentation should be changed.

Regards
Rainer Raebiger