Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Bronze Contributor

Which is the right native client?

I've got SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 running simultaenously on the Saleslogix server which is Windows 2003 64 bit.

The 64 bit version of SQL 2008 is installed, and I assume this came included with the 64 bit version of the native client (I tried installing the native client I downloaded off MS and it came up with a modify/repair dialog).

The database is installed on the 2008 instance.  And the Saleslogix Connection Manager gives me two options, 'SQL Native Client' and 'SQL Server Native Client 10.0'

When I try using the 10.0 version, the test connect works fine in the connection manager, but the data link manager responds with 'unable to initialize data dictionary' and mentions the systeminfo table.   As far as I know the sysdba user has been set up correctly.   If I use the other version of the native client, I can log in fine into the administrator.

Is this how its supposed to be?  Would there be any issues with using the wrong native client?

Highlighted
Gold Super Contributor

Re: Which is the right native client?

For SQL2008 you shoudl be using the "10" version.

In teh past, it's been a few quick clicks and you are connected just fine. For teh SQL 2008 client it is not that simple. There's a specific process in a specific order you must follow.. or you get the error you have run into. 

Here's how it is done (not my words..;-) :

After upgrading to SQL Server 2008 a new Native Client is installed SQL Server Native Client 10.0 which includes new parameters that, by default, are incompatible with the requirements for SalesLogix and appear to be impossible to set. Each time you switch off the Blank Password option and switch on the Allow Saving Password option they reset back to default.

In order to set these parameters correctly you must follow the implementation guide Page 29, Task 6. This is easily overlooked, especially if you are used to setting the parameters normally.
You are required to alter the Persist Security Info and the Integrated Security option.

1. Open the SalesLogix Connection Manager

2. Add or Edit the required connection ensure you select the SQL Server Native Client 10.0 provider

3. Make the normal changes to define the Server/Database and sysdba/password settings

4. Select the All tab

5. Locate the option Persist Security Info option and change the setting to True

6. Locate the option Integrated Security and press the Edit Value button, then press the Reset Value button.

This should correct the issue.

Ok everything and get out of the setup.

NOTE: If you go back in again.. it will mess up and you will have to repeat the above process again.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Bronze Contributor

Thanks a million, that worked!

Gold Super Contributor

You're welcome.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101