Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Highlighted
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Upgrading SLX 7.5.3 to 8.1 - What is the best upgrade path?

We are currently at version 7.5.3 (300 Remote Clients and two Remote Offices) and are planning to upgrade to 8.1 same implementation.  I know that we must either go to 7.5.4 or 8.0 prior to the 8.1 installation.  My question:  Is either upgrade path (7.5.3 to 7.5.4  -or-  7.5.3 to 8.0) "easier" or more efficient than the other?  

Thank you so much in advance.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading SLX 7.5.3 to 8.1 - What is the best upgrade path?

There's not actually much in it. When you go to 8.1 beware that some things are deprecated (Office 2003, Crystal etc). Whereas v8.0 doesn't have those restrictions. So, best thing is start with compatibility list. The move of plugins from v753 to v800 or v801 is fairly simple.
Tuned Listener

Thank you for your quick reply!  I have read through the Compatibility Guide and see exactly what you are saying.  I am fairly new (ok, very new, < 6 mos) working with SalesLogix so I appreciate your guidance.

One other thing I am not completely clear on, if I may ask.   We have customized plugins, so do I have to reapply our customizations twice (once when I get to 7.5.4 or 8.0 and then again when I get to 8.1)?  Or can I just reapply the customizations once - when I get to 8.1?

Best Regards and Thank you again,

Jodi

Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
What I do is create an overlay bundle. So, if you go to v800 and store the bundle of changes - you can then apply that once you've finished the upgrade and, for example, want to stop there. Or, if you decide to go to v801 then make a copy of that bundle - adding in any other changed plugins. This is all on a dev system (copy of live).

Then when you do upgrade for real - you just apply the version you need, as the very last step (without needing to install it twice).
As a quick tip - you can apply the SLX bundles first. This invalidates your system (as their plugins are released). But, then it's very easy to find the plugins that changed. You then take those, retrofit changes, so making the final version. It's these that go into the overlay bundle.

When you go to live upgrade - you apply all SLX bundles with impunity. Then apply yours - so making yours the last and you're then done.

If you can - best to clean the dev/live system first by removing all duplicate plugins, leaving just released versions - this makes compare even easier.
Tuned Listener

Thank you so much, your help is invaluable!

Silver Super Contributor

Very welcome!

The original question was what is the upgrade path.

Well that all depends where you look and who you ask.

I have just performed an upgrade from 623 to 8.1 (In test) and found an inconsistnacy in the upgrade guide.

Chapter 1 : You must upgrade to 754 first.

However, when you get to bundle application at Task 38, it states apply the 754 to 8.1 bundle. This bundle does not exist and the bundle is in fact 7.5 to 8.1. When applying this, it applies all the 754 stuff and wants to run the "Conversion Tool" again for messages etc (I cancelled that bit).

So did we need to upgrade to 754 at all??

Mike

Silver Super Contributor

The most important part is the application of the bundles. You are correct in that there is a mistake in the documentation. So, provided you apply the bundles (which you can do equally as well from v8.1 direct) then you are good. Aside from the method already indicated below I'm of the opinion that, no, you don't upgrade from v7.54 on the application side, simply de-install and re-install v8.1 direct. It's quicker all round.

Interesting idea, not a million miles from what I often do . Uninstall all, Install New Build and chuck on the bundles.

Coming from a 623 to 81 is  along haul. Since there is a Database Conversion to Run @75 I am tempted to stick with notmal path to that point.

I