Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor

Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 to 2005

Hi,

It's been a while, since I've been here. I'm serving a client that has an SLX 7.01 LAN implementation. They are migrating from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. They have no sync server nor Web server, so the database migration should be pretty straightforward.

They have already set up a separate box for the SQL Server, so they will need to transfer the database file from the old machine to the new one.

Is there anything we need to know beyond using the MSSQL tools to upgrade the database? I also understand that we will need to create new datalink connections on the clients, but if there is anything else (service packs?) please share that info with me.

Thanks,

John Houlgate

Broadlight Enterprises, Inc.

Copper Contributor

Re: Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 to 2005

The upgrade went pretty well. There was a problem attaching the database file through the SLX v7 install program. It copied the file, but the SQL 2005 instance could not attach it. The default server name was MSSQLSERVER, but the name of the actual server was different. We went around that by using the SQL Server tools to attach the database. Then we restored that database with a backup file from SQL Server 2000. After that, we ran the sysdba_fix script and everything else went well.

We installed the SalesLogix admin tools and client on the server machine to v7 Service Pack 2, Hot Fix 7. Then we wanted to upgrade the client machines to the same level, but ran into problems connecting to the DB. The IT has a policy of installing apps on client machines under a local admin account. We upgraded one client this way and was able to connect to the server, but when we logged in as the user, the Datalink could not find the server. We resolved that by uninstalling the network client, then reinstalling back up to the previous version (v7 SP1) and it connected again for the user. 

For the other machines we established a protocol for upgrading. First we uninstall the client, the reinstall  under the local admin account, establish the data link, then apply the SPs and HFs and test the datalink and login after each upgrade. Doing it this way resulted in successful connections.

If anyone can explain why we could not simply upgrade the clients without reinstalling them, I would appreciate hearing from you. Maybe there was a simpler way to do this. I don't know.

Sincerely,

John Houlgate